Give My The +/- Of These 2 Tubs

The first tub is a 3 year old Caldera Geneva tub which I've wet tested the same model and find it to be very comfortable. The owner will take $3000 and the tub is full of water and I can see it run. It comes with a cover, lifter and he said I can have the electrical box even though I don't need it.

The next tub is a 1.5 year old Hot Springs Prodigy tub that comes with a cover and lifter. I've not wet tested a Prodigy so I'd like to know what people that own them or have tried one like/dislike about them. This tub the owner is asking $2000 for it and probably won't budge much on the price. The only thing about this one I didn't like is the guy sent me a picture of it with his dog swimming in it so the shell may have some scratches in it. Thanks for any help.

You're talking about a large/deep top of the line spa vs a medium/more shallow one. Either should be fine but they are a bit different from each other size wise for sure so its tough to compare. If you don't need the larger Geneva, go with the smaller, less expensive Prodigy. If you want the size, do the opposite.

BTW, both these spas use distinctive 30A/20A GFI subpanels so you do want to take that guy up on the offer for the electrical box.

The first tub is a 3 year old Caldera Geneva tub which I've wet tested the same model and find it to be very comfortable. The owner will take $3000 and the tub is full of water and I can see it run. It comes with a cover, lifter and he said I can have the electrical box even though I don't need it.

The next tub is a 1.5 year old Hot Springs Prodigy tub that comes with a cover and lifter. I've not wet tested a Prodigy so I'd like to know what people that own them or have tried one like/dislike about them. This tub the owner is asking $2000 for it and probably won't budge much on the price. The only thing about this one I didn't like is the guy sent me a picture of it with his dog swimming in it so the shell may have some scratches in it. Thanks for any help.

So I wouldn't be able to use my current 50amp GFI that I already have in my panel? I have a quick disconnect out by the tub and the 50amp is in my panel in the house.

You would not be able to use it on either of those two choices. That may be part of the reason the guy was going to include his subpanel, he knows you need it.

So I wouldn't be able to use my current 50amp GFI that I already have in my panel? I have a quick disconnect out by the tub and the 50amp is in my panel in the house.

You would not be able to use it on either of those two choices. That may be part of the reason the guy was going to include his subpanel, he knows you need it.

Will I have to pull new wire to run the tub?

I don't think you can go wrong here, Nitrousman. As you know, I have an 07 geneva, and think it's a great tub, you could do much worse. :) The prodegy is solid, but if you look at the Geneva's specs vs the Prodgy, I think you'd see the Geneva is s alot more tub. B)

Figure a new filter for the tub, and you're looking at a new cover for either one of these tubs in a couple of years.

What did you run already from the main to the subpanel?

The panel is in my house where the 50amp GFCI breaker is installed but I don't remember exactly what we ran out to the quick disconnect but whatever it was it meets code. My buddy is a Master electrician so I know he did it right but can I reuse it for the Geneva panel?

I don't think you can go wrong here, Nitrousman. As you know, I have an 07 geneva, and think it's a great tub, you could do much worse. :) The prodegy is solid, but if you look at the Geneva's specs vs the Prodgy, I think you'd see the Geneva is s alot more tub. B)

Figure a new filter for the tub, and you're looking at a new cover for either one of these tubs in a couple of years.

From what I've read they're both good quality tubs. The Geneva is currently running in the owners garage since he brought it with him when he moved so it's not really been exposed to the elements in the last year. How many filters does each tub have? Can I still use the Nature 2 in either tub?

The panel is in my house where the 50amp GFCI breaker is installed but I don't remember exactly what we ran out to the quick disconnect but whatever it was it meets code. My buddy is a Master electrician so I know he did it right but can I reuse it for the Geneva panel?

The fact that your buddy is a master electrician definitely improves your chances that you're all set from the main to the subpanel but it does not cinch it. Why not ask him what size wire he ran to be sure?

Anyway, you may be fine on the wire you ran from the main to the subpanel but if you ran wire from the subpanel to where you plan to have the spa without taking into account the brand you’re taking a chance. In this case if you ran the ‘typical’ way a spa is wired then you've wasted some time but then again your buddy would have to have experience with hooking up spas to know that not all of them run the same from the subpanel to the spa itself.

Take a look at these manuals. Don’t worry that they may not be the exact year for the spas you're looking (I guessed vs your statement of their age) as they do correctly depict how to wire from the main to the subpanel and then from the subpanel to the spa for these 2 particualr brands.

Furthermore, that Prodigy may be wired for 220V or for 110V. Hopefully the owner had it wired 220v and is willing to include the subpanel.

http://www.calderaspas.com/Customer/pdfs/u...pre-deliv04.pdf

http://www.hotspring.com/cgi-bin/download....s_manual_05.pdf

You should show these to your master electrician friend.

The fact that your buddy is a master electrician definitely improves your chances that you're all set from the main to the subpanel but it does not cinch it. Why not ask him what size wire he ran to be sure?

Anyway, you may be fine on the wire you ran from the main to the subpanel but if you ran wire from the subpanel to where you plan to have the spa without taking into account the brand you’re taking a chance. In this case if you ran the ‘typical’ way a spa is wired then you've wasted some time but then again your buddy would have to have experience with hooking up spas to know that not all of them run the same from the subpanel to the spa itself.

Take a look at these manuals. Don’t worry that they may not be the exact year for the spas you're looking (I guessed vs your statement of their age) as they do correctly depict how to wire from the main to the subpanel and then from the subpanel to the spa for these 2 particualr brands.

Furthermore, that Prodigy may be wired for 220V or for 110V. Hopefully the owner had it wired 220v and is willing to include the subpanel.

http://www.calderaspas.com/Customer/pdfs/u...pre-deliv04.pdf

http://www.hotspring.com/cgi-bin/download....s_manual_05.pdf

You should show these to your master electrician friend.

Thanks for the info, I may be picking up the Geneva Sunday so I'll show him the info then.