Help!changed Filter Cartridges And Now Water Is Cloudy!

Did the following over the last 4 days:

1. reduced FC to zero and pH to 7.0

2. ascorbic acid treatment for stained walls

3. sequestrant treatment

4. ran filter for a full day after step 3

5. added enough bleach to bring FC to 1

At this point, pool water and walls looked great

6. Removed older filter cartridges and manifold and replaced with new (Jacuzzi triclops TC-300)

7. Noted water starting to become cloudy

8. Tested water: pH = 6.5, FC = 0, hardness = 220, alkalinity = 120

9. Added clarifier

10. No improvement, water is actually more cloudy

11. Added soda ash and bleach

12. Tested water: pH = 6.7, FC maybe up to 1

13. Checked filter manifold for good seal, it seems to be fine, tried to make sure that water is not bypassing the filters

So I just did steps 11 through 13, still have filter running. I still don't think this is as much a chemistry problem as a physical one, the water was fine up until I changed the filters. As far as I can see, the filters are installed properly. Any ideas?

I went through this same process more or less, so I feel for you. It is my understanding that the asorbic acid causes a chlorine demand, so without enough FC, the cloudy water is probably from algae starting.

I would start adding more chlorine 1ppm at a time, if the water starts to turn green, add more sesquesterant. You didn't say what your CYA level is, but that matters a great deal, the higher the CYA level is, the more FC you have to keep in the pool to prevent algae. You can do a search for Bens Best Guess Chart, and Pool Calculator to find how much chlorine you need for you level, and find out how much of each thing to put to get your levels in check based on your number of gallons.

Also, I would think that you need to raise that PH to atleast 7.0 again.

I went through this same process more or less, so I feel for you. It is my understanding that the asorbic acid causes a chlorine demand, so without enough FC, the cloudy water is probably from algae starting.

I would start adding more chlorine 1ppm at a time, if the water starts to turn green, add more sesquesterant. You didn't say what your CYA level is, but that matters a great deal, the higher the CYA level is, the more FC you have to keep in the pool to prevent algae. You can do a search for Bens Best Guess Chart, and Pool Calculator to find how much chlorine you need for you level, and find out how much of each thing to put to get your levels in check based on your number of gallons.

Also, I would think that you need to raise that PH to atleast 7.0 again.

CrazyPoolMom, it looks like the cloudiness occurring right after I had changed the filters was pure coincidence which diverted me from the actual problem. I shocked the pool 2 days consecutively and the pool started to clear. The combination of vita C treatment and the required zero FC that goes along with it and the sequestrant must have created the beginnings of an algae bloom even though the water never went green. :rolleyes: Because I raised the FC quickly to head off the algae the metal stains are back......so I'm back at square one, so to speak. :angry: Oh well, live and learn.

Whenever my pool turns back green, it means that I do not have enough sesquesterant in the water. I am using the walmart brand htp Metal Control and it works great as long as I keep enough of it in there, and twice it has turned green on me again, but I didn't have to have the asorbic acid, I just used the metal control and it cleared it all back to blue. I thought I had staining again the second time even, kind of a yellow film on everything, the filters were orange, but that went away too.