Help - Major Algae Now Cloudy Pool

xoroniox

ok here is the situation the pool was left untreated for 2months no chlorine or anything, i came back from vacation and the pool was like a swamp nasty. i drained the pool and acid washed the entire diamondbrite pool then refilled the pool and super shocked it because there was still some algae left and green water. i had it @ 25ppm of chlorine for 2days, all the algae died and the water turned a nice blue. but it was VERY cloudy which is fine, i ran the pump and baracuda for 3 days straight while cleaning out the cartridge filter and basket at least twice a daily both were alwasy full and dirty. now i bought a bottle of flocculant because it is still cloudy added the floc yesterday @ 4pm left it overnight and this morning the pool looked a bit clearer i then manual vacuumed the pool and now i hooked up the baracuda to continue cleaning, but the pool still looks very cloudy! should i add another round of flocculant and continue to let the baracuda clean and continue to wash out the cartridge and pump basket? if so how long should it take until my pool will be crystal clear again?

right now pool is 2-3ppm chlorine & ph is 7.2. 15,000gallons inground diamond brite with 1hp hayward filter and 50sq 20micron cartridge filter, baracuda g3 cleaner.

thank you in advance for any help, Arron in Florida

ok here is the situation the pool was left untreated for 2months no chlorine or anything, i came back from vacation and the pool was like a swamp nasty. i drained the pool and acid washed the entire diamondbrite pool then refilled the pool and super shocked it because there was still some algae left and green water. i had it @ 25ppm of chlorine for 2days, all the algae died and the water turned a nice blue. but it was VERY cloudy which is fine, i ran the pump and baracuda for 3 days straight while cleaning out the cartridge filter and basket at least twice a daily both were alwasy full and dirty. now i bought a bottle of flocculant because it is still cloudy added the floc yesterday @ 4pm left it overnight and this morning the pool looked a bit clearer i then manual vacuumed the pool and now i hooked up the baracuda to continue cleaning, but the pool still looks very cloudy! should i add another round of flocculant and continue to let the baracuda clean and continue to wash out the cartridge and pump basket? if so how long should it take until my pool will be crystal clear again?

right now pool is 2-3ppm chlorine & ph is 7.2. 15,000gallons inground diamond brite with 1hp hayward filter and 50sq 20micron cartridge filter, baracuda g3 cleaner.

Did you turn the filter off over night after you had added the Floc. If you kept the pump running the Floc would not work as well.

Did you turn the filter off over night after you had added the Floc. If you kept the pump running the Floc would not work as well.

yes i had the filter off, i added the floc and left the system off for 20hours. so it should have plenty time. thank you for your reply, if you can think of anything else please tell.

Arron

• 2 months later...

First off, if you read the instructions on the clarifier it will tell you if you need to turn off the pump and let sit overnight or run your pump overnight. I have yet to see any clarifier instruct you to turn your pump off. They all state that you should let the pump run for at least four hours after you add it to the water or to let it run over night. That is how clarifier works. It causes the fine particles too small for your filter to catch to clump together to get to a size that allows the filter to catch. Second, adding the clarifier and not letting the water circulate doens't allow all of the clarifier to distribute around the entire pool and this being the case, you're probably not allowing all the particles suspended in your pool water to be subjected to the effects of the clarifier.

Try this, add the clarifier to your pool water. Make sure you pour a little directly into your skimmer to coat you cartridge filter. This helps believe me. Next, walk away from the pool and leave the pump running. The next day you'll notice a difference. BUT................

You said you have a 15000 gallon pool with a 50 square foot cartridge filter??? I have a 21000 gallon pool but the cartridge filter I had installed is a 175 square foot filter. I'm no math wiz but the difference between filter requiremenst for our pools seem a little non linear........meaning if your filter is of the right size then my filter is way too big but if my filter is sized right you may have a filter sizing problem. That may explain why you can't seem to catch up to your pool water...........................

Hey I'm no expert but use the clarifier the way the "chemists" intend for you to use it and you should have no problems. With that LITTLE filter of yours it may take a while but you'll eventually get your water clear. Something that has helped me out a lot was adding a chemical to my water that removes phosphorous. That makes the environment for algae growth less friendly and I've not had one bit of algae problems since doing that.

Jerry........