Opening The Swamp

mplekker

Hello,

I'm a new home owner that just bought a house with a pool. Pretty big one too, I think around 30,000 gallons or so. Anyway, since I never owned a pool before, here's some questions....

1. The pool hasn't been used in (I think) a couple of years. So lots of leaves and debris in it. I'm going to clean that out the best I can, but do you guys have any tips? I can't even see the bottom.

2. It's got a few tears in the liner. I drained the pool water out so it is now about 1" below the tear. The tear is about 4 inches in length....Is this repairable?

3. Once I get it as clean as I can, do I use the pool vacuum, or (as I have read on the net) is it better to call in a professional in May or so (I'm in PA) to "power vacuum" the pool and get it ready?

Those are the first concerns....Talk to you guys later...

Mario

Hello,

I'm a new home owner that just bought a house with a pool. Pretty big one too, I think around 30,000 gallons or so. Anyway, since I never owned a pool before, here's some questions....

1. The pool hasn't been used in (I think) a couple of years. So lots of leaves and debris in it. I'm going to clean that out the best I can, but do you guys have any tips? I can't even see the bottom.

2. It's got a few tears in the liner. I drained the pool water out so it is now about 1" below the tear. The tear is about 4 inches in length....Is this repairable?

3. Once I get it as clean as I can, do I use the pool vacuum, or (as I have read on the net) is it better to call in a professional in May or so (I'm in PA) to "power vacuum" the pool and get it ready?

Those are the first concerns....Talk to you guys later...

Mario

Mario, You should be able to patch the tear with a good patch glue and a piece of vinyl. We recommend pool glue from Bond adhesives. You can smear it on the patch and it will even work under water. Just be sure to cut the patch larger than the tear. The next step is to make sure the filter is working. Hopefully there are no leaks in the lines. You will need to refill the water up to about halfway across the skimmer opening.

Then you can try to scoop out as many leaves as you can with a leaf rake.

Once the filter is operating you will need to shock the pool with at least 10 lbs of shock treatment or 10 gallons of liquid chlorine. You may need to repeat this more than once. Once the pool starts to clear up, you will be able to see to vacuum. Hopefully this will do it and you won't need a new liner. But if the pool is more than 15-20 years old, it may not be a bad idea to invest in a new liner anyway.

Good luck.

Mario, You should be able to patch the tear with a good patch glue and a piece of vinyl. We recommend pool glue from Bond adhesives. You can smear it on the patch and it will even work under water. Just be sure to cut the patch larger than the tear. The next step is to make sure the filter is working. Hopefully there are no leaks in the lines. You will need to refill the water up to about halfway across the skimmer opening.

Then you can try to scoop out as many leaves as you can with a leaf rake.

Once the filter is operating you will need to shock the pool with at least 10 lbs of shock treatment or 10 gallons of liquid chlorine. You may need to repeat this more than once. Once the pool starts to clear up, you will be able to see to vacuum. Hopefully this will do it and you won't need a new liner. But if the pool is more than 15-20 years old, it may not be a bad idea to invest in a new liner anyway.

Good luck.

I just wanted to add that when you cut the patch make it a round patch so that the corners dont lift. Other that that good advice from poollady.

Thanks guys, for all the advice. One question...."Vacuum to waste" - what does that mean?

It means by passing the filter. Most Inground filters have this capability, you may not. What kind of filter do you have? You should be able to vacuum debris from the pool directly to waste, (not through the filter but an outside drain source)