Falling Liner = Pool Floor Sand Washing Away?

Excuse me if I don't use all of the proper terms as pool ownership is a new endeavor to me. I purchased a house with an already existing 16x32 rectangle Kayak pool (circa 1980's).

In any event, after removing the cover this year, I discovered two things.

1) The pool liner had fallen significantly on one side

2) The decking on the same side of the pool was tilted upwards at probably a 5-10 degree angle

I was always baffled about the decking, but it didn't bother me too much being an older pool. The liner had fallen far enough that I would not have been able to "top off" the pool with enough water to run the filter. So I decided to hop in the pool, and see if I could pull up the liner and snap it back on, what I discovered was a dip in the pool floor in the same spot the liner was falling. I then came to the conclusion that the liner must have been falling for some time and was never remedied and as a result water fell between the liner and the walls thus eroding away the sand on the pool floor.

Sound like a proper diagnosis?

I plan to drain the pool, pull back the liner, replace and repack the sand and then replace liner and refill.

My first question is, is this the proper way to remedy this situation?

My second question is, what kind of sand do I need to replace on the pool floor? By my estimates, it does not appear I will need a lot of sand.

I am so new to this and I would rather have some one fix this for me, but unfortunately, no one seems to want to work on my 16x32 Rectangle Kayak pool.

If anyone can assist me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt