Water Test Results

Ok so I just got my water test results in from leslies...btw i just bought a house with a pool..new pool guy....anyway

here are there results

TAC 3

Water PH 7.8

TA 150

Calcium 280

CYA 40

TDS 500

my pool is a 16x32..approx 15-16,000 gallons....

with those results they told me to add 2 cups of muriatic acid....

Does that sound right?

Also the old owners did not take care of the pool..when i moved in it was a swamp...it looks good now but the tile has a lot of white build up (calcium? lime?) in certain spots...also had some algae leftovers in the tile creases that i got off with a steel brush..the calcium isnt coming off though.....what is the best way to get this stuff off?

Last thing, the bottom of my pool feels like sandpaper..basically all of it does...and there appears to be tiny "holes" in the plaster...it doesnt appear to be leaking but there are exposed areas around the waterfall line close to my rocks and occasional ones on the sides or steps....what are these about? Is there anyway to get the rough feeling out of the texture of the bottom?

Not sure what the old owners did but so far I have replaced the booster pump, the cleaner itself, a ortega check valve, the jandy inside controller...and the spa light is burned out....maintenance wasnt there strong point i dont guess...good thing i got a home warrarnty that includes the pool..its already paid for itself

Ok so I just got my water test results in from leslies...btw i just bought a house with a pool..new pool guy....anyway

here are there results

TAC 3

Water PH 7.8

TA 150

Calcium 280

CYA 40

TDS 500

my pool is a 16x32..approx 15-16,000 gallons....

with those results they told me to add 2 cups of muriatic acid....

Does that sound right?

That is probably in the ballpark to get your pH down to about 7.5 or 7.6 but your TA is pretty high so you might need more. Only way to tell is to add it, wait about 30 minues and retest the pH (pump running the whole time.) Your other numbers look good except they only gave you a reading for total chlorine and not free chlorine. Free chlorine is what you want to know. If your free chlorine is less than the totlal chlorine you are probably still killing algae and you need to raise the chlorine up to shock level and keep it there until the FC is holding and there is no combined chlorine.

Also the old owners did not take care of the pool..when i moved in it was a swamp...it looks good now but the tile has a lot of white build up (calcium? lime?) in certain spots...also had some algae leftovers in the tile creases that i got off with a steel brush..the calcium isnt coming off though.....what is the best way to get this stuff off?

Scale deposits are hard to remove and they probably came from years of neglecting the water chemistry. Muriatic acid can remove them. I would start with 1 part acid to 20 parts water and if that doesn't do it increase the strength. Use gloves and goggles. Also, a pumice stone can help scrub them off.

Last thing, the bottom of my pool feels like sandpaper..basically all of it does...and there appears to be tiny "holes" in the plaster...it doesnt appear to be leaking but there are exposed areas around the waterfall line close to my rocks and occasional ones on the sides or steps....what are these about? Is there anyway to get the rough feeling out of the texture of the bottom?

If the plaster is intact then you can have the pool acid washed. If the plaster is not you will need to replaster. This comes from not maintaining proper water chemistry for a period of time. High CYA (stabilizer) levels can etch plaster, as can low pH or high sulfates from the use of dry acid and non chlorine shock.

Not sure what the old owners did but so far I have replaced the booster pump, the cleaner itself, a ortega check valve, the jandy inside controller...and the spa light is burned out....maintenance wasnt there strong point i dont guess...good thing i got a home warrarnty that includes the pool..its already paid for itself

hope this helps.

Thanks...Appreciate the help

One thing, how much does a Acid Wash cost (ballpark) and I guess that means draining the pool also right?

It's not exactly cheap. Consult a local pool professional to get a quote and to see if you just need an acid wash and perhaps sandblasting or if you need a replaster job. United chemicals makes a no drain acid wash kit but I don't know if it is as effective as a regular acid wash. It would require bypassing a heater if you have one so it should still be left up to a professional, IMHO.