Need Help In Pa

LHP

We were leaning toward Gunite, but are now considering fiberglass due to install time (I know - it's a long term investment, but don't want to wait until September to swim!)

Anyway, does anyone have any positive feedback on inground fiberglass pools. I just keep reading about horror stories of cracking, companies not honoring work... The only positive feedback I have read about on fiberglass pools has really been from the actual dealers themselves and then there is a fluffy of disagreements from customers to follow.

More than anything, I am weary about the fiberglass ingrounds in the Phildelphia PA area because there don't appear to be many dealers/contractors. Everyone seems to only do gunite. Is there a reason for this (i.e. ground conditions, temperature...)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

We were leaning toward Gunite, but are now considering fiberglass due to install time (I know - it's a long term investment, but don't want to wait until September to swim!)

Anyway, does anyone have any positive feedback on inground fiberglass pools. I just keep reading about horror stories of cracking, companies not honoring work... The only positive feedback I have read about on fiberglass pools has really been from the actual dealers themselves and then there is a fluffy of disagreements from customers to follow.

More than anything, I am weary about the fiberglass ingrounds in the Phildelphia PA area because there don't appear to be many dealers/contractors. Everyone seems to only do gunite. Is there a reason for this (i.e. ground conditions, temperature...)?

Thanks.

I am going to try and get it right this time. I had a fiberglass pool put in last year. I am not a pool contractor or a pool salesman. While the contractor was hell, it took longer to put in than promised and cost more than planned, I would say that we generally enjoy the pool and the sales pitches are pretty much on target.

I live on a sand island with the water table seven foot down but can vary depending on tides. The pool is 16x32 and 6 feet deep made by Waterworld pools. The fiberglass construction and product appears to be sturdy, well finished and solid. Except for the fact that no where can we actually get 32' on the length of the pool, 31' is the longest angle we can find. That being said, I guess all contractors, gunite and fiberglass have their crooks and it seem like a lot of pool guys are crooks.

The main problem, as stated, was the contractor's lack of integrity. It was suppose to take three weeks and took four months. Suppose to have spa jets, but none were installed, suppose to have a slide but none delivered prior to the electrician grounding the rebar, we paid and installed the slide ourselves. Had a competent contractor put the pool in I would imagine that it could be up and running as fast as they claim, our guy just tried to get around pulling permits and couldn't get an electrician to do the work till it was properly permitted. Stupid over a little $200 permit but he tried to cut every little corner he could. My advise to you is check the contractor and write an iron clad contract that protects you. This was our first pool, we were excited the guy seemed like a nice old guy and we dropped our guard, obviously how he makes his living.

The pool has a 3 foot concrete apron about 4" deep around most of the pool rebared on to the fiberglass about every 4 feet with flagstone laid over it, cantilevered over the fiberglass. We keep the pool full, with the exception of having to drain it to about 2 feet for the electrical inspection of the wet niche and have had no issues with it rising or popping out of the ground during those few days nor during times of heavy rain and high tides. I think the apron, rebar and weight of the flagstone may help us, I may be wrong, only the future will tell.

As far as cleaning and chemical consumption. The pool is easy to clean, gets a bath tub ring in heavy use but come off easy with scrub brush. I compare my chemical use with my neighbor who has a gunite pool of about the same size that is used less (I have 4 kids 23-6; they are to retired adults with grand kids who visit once a month) and I still use significantly fewer chemicals then he does and he has been a pool owner for a long time and is shocked at the lack of chemical use in my pool.

I like the smooth feel of the fiberglass as opposed to the rough of the gunite. My yard is so small that I really couldn't be creative with gunite anyway. The shape fit well for us and our needs. Owing a fiberglass pool has been good for me. Will send you some pictures if you would like, don't know how to attach to this.

Biggest issue with ownership, the lack of knowledge of fiberglass pools among the general "pool community" and paranoia that develops from that and reading blogs like this.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

First off, any good installer is booked for this summer but you can probably get a good deal on an installation this fall after they slow. Take your time and swim next year.

I live in Pittsburgh and had a Viking firberglass pool installed four years ago; I highly recommend the Viking pool (assuming you secure a competent installer).

One complaint: there is no overflow on my pool. The first year I had it and closed it for the winter the pool cover has an open mesh center and when it rained over the winter the pool overflowed through the skimmer and the highly chlorinated water killed all the landscaping around the pool. I had to cross-brace the pool with 2 x 10s cut on a curve to prevent water from entering the pool in the winter. Additionally, heavy rains in the spring mean that I have to pump off the rain water before it reaches the level of the skimmer and killing my replaced landscaping; ah, the joys of pool ownership.

If you purchase the Viking do not buy it without getting the optional self-cleaning Vantage jets; there are three jets that pop up and clean the pool for you; it really works and a friend of my did not get this option and regrets it.

Lastly, unless you are rich, get the pool small enough that you can afford to heat the water. My pool is 14' x 33' x 6' and it is not expensive to heat; the pool heater would be worth it in Philly.

Good Luck.