Aquagarde?

Hi, having owned a Arctic Spa Avalanche a year or so ago (it was returned, and not replaced, because of problems) I am now in the market market for a new model. Searching the Internet for information on water balancing I came across what appears to be an AMAZING product called Aquagarde. Has anyone used it, heard of it, know anything about it as it sounds like the answer to all water problems? There website is www.aquagarde.com.

Thanks

Not sure why no one is picking up on this... The product sounds too good to be true and I guess no one here has either used it or heard of it.

Just for the convenience of it I'm pasting some information taken from their website which seems to suggest that aquagarde does away with other chemicals. I would appreciate any feedback from the forum if they too think it sounds too good or, better still, have used it and can say whether it works or not...

AquaGarde® is a worry free and pleasant smelling watercare solution. AquaGarde® uses completely unique technology called BDT© or BioFilm Dispersion Technology© to breakdown dangerous biological build up in the plumbing of your spa/hottub. This exciting natural approach gives you wonderfully pure and clean water, with no balancing, no testing, no smell and no worry.

Thanks again.

From what I know there has been some research in biofilm dispersion technology in dealing with wastewater and lakes and ponds and it has shown promise but I can find no information on the use of this technology in hot tubs. My concern is whether the product has been approved by the EPA and from what I have seen on their website it has not.

From reading their website it looks like it's just another enzyme type of product and if that IS the case then it is not a primary sanitizer. They really don't provide very much information. Their website does say that the product should be used in conjunction with chlorine, bromine, ozone or UV which also leads me to believe it is simply an enzyme type of product.

It also appears that this product is primarily available in the UK and that it is essentially the same as AquaFinesse, which includes chlorine tablets as part of the system.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. The hot tub I've purchased comes with an ozone system (Arctic Ozone) and so my hope is that I can use Aquagarde with the ozone system, and do away with chlorine etc. Is that realistic or am I going to need to use chlorine at the same time as Aquagarde (or AquaFinesse for that matter)?

I think one of the main reasons for confusion is that it's not clear (at least to me) what the difference is between water that is referred to a "pure" (on Aquagarde's website they say "... gives you wonderfully pure and clean water, with no balancing, no testing, no smell and no worry.") and water that is "sanitized".

Thanks for any advice.

[quote name='Vandangler' date='Jun 4 2007, 10:00 AM'

Hi Vandangler,

Despite the claims of many companies you will always rely on at least some chlorine in your water as well as testing somewhat regularly. If your ozone system functions well then issues will be a minimum but to trust the water with no residual in it is asking for trouble. Beware of anyone that promises to fix your water with no issues, all pools require some looking after and a little common sense. I think you are better off with alot of advise in this forum and going with tried and true products.

Good Luck

Hi Prawny, thanks for the reply.

What I don't understand (and I'm sure I'm speaking for others too) is how can companines get away with making such bold claims which are only half truth's, I quote, "... pure and clean water, with no balancing, no testing, no smell and no worry." Surely they must be breaking some law or other claiming such possiblities without expalining too that it MUST be used in conjuction with satitizers...

What is their definition of "pure" and "clean"? And how can they get away with claiming there is no "balancing" required?

Thanks for your feedback.

Vandangler

Companies have always made outrageous claims for their products as long as advertising has been around. If called to the carpet then they have to back them up but until then who's gonna stop them. Just look at all the advertising on TV. Do you really believe all of it? NO. Why should an ad for a water treatment product of dubious value that doesn't tell you much about the product at all be any different. It's just a new twist on selling snake oil.

Consider copper/silver systems. For many years the companies that produced them claimed they were 'chemical free', 'chlorine free', and/or 'mineral systems'. Most countries have passed legislation about these copper/silver devices that require them to be used with an approved sanitizer, in some places at normal and not reduced sanitizer levels or to be labeled as algaecides and NOT as sanitizers (Canada for example). Calling metals 'minerals' is just marketing hype. How many of us want metals in our pool? But we don't really mind having 'minerals' in our water! Makes it sound healthy and spa like! How about if we call them copper sulfate and silver nitrate (actual ingredients listed on the box of one such system, Nature2 by Zodiac). How appealing does it sound now?

I can tell you about a great product ingredient called DHMO. You NEED to have this in your spa if you want to enjoy using it! Benefits of adding it include making your spa much more relaxing and enjoyable to sit in (this has been documented time after time--people always find a spa with DHMO added to me a more enjoyable experience!), it will make any chemicals you add to the spa dissolve and achieving proper water balance is impossible with out it! When you have it in your spa and your heater is on it's molecules will carry the heat of your heater throughout the spa to make your soaking experience a warm one.

It is compatible with EVERY known spa sanitizer and chemical. It is normally a liqiud but can be converted easily to solid form and the solid form can actually cool your spa down if applied during the hot summer months!

It is also very effective at cleaning your spa, spa cover, deck, and even your bathing suits and other clothes! You can even clean yourself with it safely!

Is this sounding like something you might want ? I have not made anything up about this 'wonder spa additive". DHMO stands for dihydrogen monoxide. That is another name for water! How many bottles of it can I sell you?

(For a website that talks about the 'dangers' of DHMO click this link and for one that talks about the benefiits click this one but remember it is all 'tounge in cheek'. It is a good illutration how facts can be distorted to produce the results you want and advertisers use this all the time!

• 3 months later...

I've been using Aquagarde for over 12 months now. I have to say it is absolutely brilliant.

We used to have a 12' above ground pool and you were forever checking pH levels, chlorine etc, but with Aquagarde you just stick a bit in once a week, job done!

Until very recently (last month) you had 2 bottles of liquid and a pot of chlorine tablets. You had to put a cup of liquid and one tablet in the filter once a week.

They have just changed it to make it even better - it's now a silver based liquid, so you just get a bottle of that. You put half a cup (100ml) in my size tub once a week, no chlorine tablets (excellent as they stink), and that's it!

Always smells sweet, water always feels just right, never any scum or anything - and that's after 12 months.

Costs me £80 ($160) every 3-4 months, but that's it, no more chemicals needed. For the lack of hassle it is well worth it.

I've been using Aquagarde for over 12 months now. I have to say it is absolutely brilliant.

We used to have a 12' above ground pool and you were forever checking pH levels, chlorine etc, but with Aquagarde you just stick a bit in once a week, job done!

Until very recently (last month) you had 2 bottles of liquid and a pot of chlorine tablets. You had to put a cup of liquid and one tablet in the filter once a week.

They have just changed it to make it even better - it's now a silver based liquid, so you just get a bottle of that. You put half a cup (100ml) in my size tub once a week, no chlorine tablets (excellent as they stink), and that's it!

Always smells sweet, water always feels just right, never any scum or anything - and that's after 12 months.

Costs me £80 ($160) every 3-4 months, but that's it, no more chemicals needed. For the lack of hassle it is well worth it.

Silver is NOT a primary sanitizer since it has very slow kill times. That is why most countries require it be used in conjunction with a fast acting primary santizer such as chlorine.

• 1 year later...

The old Aquagarde formula with the two bottles is much better than the new one with Silver in it. My spa watertreatment was perfect over almost a year, but then I tried the new formula in the blue bottle and my water turned grey. After many hours of work I drained it completely, and started with new fresh water and AquaFinesse, this is the old formula of AquaGarde, before they made changes to the formula and put Silver in it. Now the water quality is perfect again! No hard water, easy maintenance and perfect clean and clear water! I suggest you try AquaFinesse, it worked out just fine for me,

Cheers, Darren