Hey Smilinbare

I can't remember who it was, i think it was you, that was looking for info on meteor showers, etc. I've just found a new link at the weathernetwork that has a little on the night sky. Here's the link:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/features/...azing/index.htm

I think this one is for Canada, so if you aren't here, you may have to look around for the U.S. (I think you were in Alberta though, no?) anyways, there is probably a link for the U.S. as well.

P.S. How about that Mens Canadian Curling Team? And womens Hockey? GO CANADA! (who cares about anything other than hockey though, right? lol).

This is a great site for StarGazing.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

You can find your location and it will tell you when and where to look for satelites and planets that should be visible in your area.

It is fun to find out when the International space station is going to be visible and look for it.

Night time tubbing is a great time to star gaze.

Satr gazing is an awsome thing to do in the spa! That''s a great link! Thanks!

This is a great site for StarGazing.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

You can find your location and it will tell you when and where to look for satelites and planets that should be visible in your area.

It is fun to find out when the International space station is going to be visible and look for it.

Night time tubbing is a great time to star gaze.

Wow, thanks Rika, an awesome link!

Great links, you guys! Thanks a lot for posting 'em. Maybe I can finally get beyond..."ummmmm...I *think* that's the Big Dipper". :blink:

That is a great site isn't it.

We found it when we did astronomy merit badge with our Boy Scout troop.

It makes it easy to find interesting things to look at.

We keep it bookmarked and check it before getting in the tub so we know if there will be something to look for while we are out.

That is a great site isn't it.

We found it when we did astronomy merit badge with our Boy Scout troop.

It makes it easy to find interesting things to look at.

We keep it bookmarked and check it before getting in the tub so we know if there will be something to look for while we are out.

That is wonderful in states where stars are accessably seen. In Long Island we are pretty much lower than sea level and is harder to see stars. As in Pennsylvania you can see alot of stars. That really is a romantic thing to see which consalations of stars to point out. Did you see the belt and boots on st. ??? someone I forget.

You mean the brightest star (north star) hehe :lol:

Just to correct you, the north star is not the brightest star, and is not located in Ursa Major (The Big Dipper). It is, however, the brightest star in Ursa Minor (The Little Dipper), but is only the 49th brightest star in the sky with approx 1.9 magnitude. It's also not actually north, it's out by about half degree. To find the north star, you use the big dipper though, following from the end of the "scoop part", the outside edge kind of, you line up those two stars and make a line straight . . . this line will lead you to Polaris (the north start) located in the "handle" of The Little Dipper, and to get your bearings, The Little Dipper pours into The Big Dipper (good way to remember). Ursa Minor is usually a little more difficult to spot than Ursa Major. Also, check out for Orion this time of year, another easy to find constellation.

Just to correct you, the north star is not the brightest star, and is not located in Ursa Major (The Big Dipper). It is, however, the brightest star in Ursa Minor (The Little Dipper), but is only the 49th brightest star in the sky with approx 1.9 magnitude. It's also not actually north, it's out by about half degree. To find the north star, you use the big dipper though, following from the end of the "scoop part", the outside edge kind of, you line up those two stars and make a line straight . . . this line will lead you to Polaris (the north start) located in the "handle" of The Little Dipper, and to get your bearings, The Little Dipper pours into The Big Dipper (good way to remember). Ursa Minor is usually a little more difficult to spot than Ursa Major. Also, check out for Orion this time of year, another easy to find constellation.

On a clear day in the summer I will make sure to go out to jones beach and find the major one. Thanks man

Great description! You know your stars! Star gazing is something many people are into but very few know a lot about. What better way to get back in touch with our sky than looking up while taking a good hot soak in the yard right?

Another good one to find once you know the dippers is Cassiopia. Off to the right of the Dippers... looks kindof like a slanted "W" letter.

I'm so lucky that I have just moved into my first "country" home in the last six months. I can actually SEE the sky now! I'd like to suggest to other night-time spa users, get back in touch with the sky by setting a goal of learning one constellation per month. It'll help turn your mind to something much more relaxing than having to fill out your tax forms at this time of the year! Enjoy your backyard retreat!

Great description! You know your stars! Star gazing is something many people are into but very few know a lot about. What better way to get back in touch with our sky than looking up while taking a good hot soak in the yard right?

Another good one to find once you know the dippers is Cassiopia. Off to the right of the Dippers... looks kindof like a slanted "W" letter.

I'm so lucky that I have just moved into my first "country" home in the last six months. I can actually SEE the sky now! I'd like to suggest to other night-time spa users, get back in touch with the sky by setting a goal of learning one constellation per month. It'll help turn your mind to something much more relaxing than having to fill out your tax forms at this time of the year! Enjoy your backyard retreat!

That was amazing. I have a question: When the earth on its axis shifts west, will the whole east coast be wiped out and will Japan still exist? Will there be more huricanes and psunami's? Is there more volcanic activity and tectonic plate shifts? Will we be in trouble soon? :unsure:

That was amazing. I have a question: When the earth on its axis shifts west, will the whole east coast be wiped out and will Japan still exist? Will there be more huricanes and psunami's? Is there more volcanic activity and tectonic plate shifts? Will we be in trouble soon? :unsure:

Not if you own an Artic hehe

The stars do tell our past, present, and future if looked at through the subconscience duh c'mon

I get to thank my mother for that. I was always interested in the night sky so she supported this interest when i was a child, learning herself along the way. My daughter loves the night sky, she sees the moon and gets excited pointing up saying "MOOOO! MOOOO!" . . . maybe too many bedtime stories with cows, lol.

An easy instrument to make can be done with a shoebox and some black cardboard paper. Cut a small hole out of one end of the shoebox, and a larger hole out of the other end (lengthewise) but not allt he way to the edges. Then cut a slit in the top of the box closest to the larger hole end, widthwise, long enough to slide a peice of paper in. You take the black cardboard (construction) paper and cut it so it slides in that slit (just like a slide). Then you put holes in the black cardboard in the formation of constellations. You now have a bunch of constellation cards you can slide into the box and by looking through the smaller hole you get the effect of stars.

Haven't been doing much stargazing here though, cold coming in from eastern Canada has put is from -40 to -50C, yuck . . . finally warming up now. That cold could be a sign of Hell freezing over, after all, the swiss beat Canada yesterday in mens hockey (first time in olympic history). WTF were they thinking? Canada and US gotta get it together, US losing to sweden and finland. Ugh.

• 1 month later...

I get to thank my mother for that. I was always interested in the night sky so she supported this interest when i was a child, learning herself along the way. My daughter loves the night sky, she sees the moon and gets excited pointing up saying "MOOOO! MOOOO!" . . . maybe too many bedtime stories with cows, lol.

An easy instrument to make can be done with a shoebox and some black cardboard paper. Cut a small hole out of one end of the shoebox, and a larger hole out of the other end (lengthewise) but not allt he way to the edges. Then cut a slit in the top of the box closest to the larger hole end, widthwise, long enough to slide a peice of paper in. You take the black cardboard (construction) paper and cut it so it slides in that slit (just like a slide). Then you put holes in the black cardboard in the formation of constellations. You now have a bunch of constellation cards you can slide into the box and by looking through the smaller hole you get the effect of stars.

Haven't been doing much stargazing here though, cold coming in from eastern Canada has put is from -40 to -50C, yuck . . . finally warming up now. That cold could be a sign of Hell freezing over, after all, the swiss beat Canada yesterday in mens hockey (first time in olympic history). WTF were they thinking? Canada and US gotta get it together, US losing to sweden and finland. Ugh.

How did CA and US do till this point?