Is This Reading Good?

Hello everybody :D

My buddy receved his digital tester yesturday and my Cyd is 19?? is this good. My CH is 69??is this good.

All the other readings where perfect :D

Thank you, John 104 degrees

What kind of digital tester? Some are more accurate than others. Does it use strips or does it use liquid or tablet reagents? The strip readers are NOT nearly as good as the coloremters.

I assume you are using chorine and not bromine in your spa so a CYA reading of 19 is about as high as you want to go. Calcium hardness is a bit low (I assume you have an acrylic spa with an electric heater.) Personally, I feel CH should be above about 125 ppm. This will help prevent foaming. What are all these other 'perfect' readings? With your CYA at about 20 ppm you should have your FC in the 5- 10 ppm range. TA depends on they source of your chlorine. If you are using an acidic stabilized chlorine (dichlor) you need to run your TA higher than if you are using a non stabilized pH neutal chlorine (cal hypo, lithium hypochlorite, sodium hypochlorite--liquid chlorine or bleach). Even though all these unstablilized chlorines have a high pH the reaction that occurs when the chlorine sanitizes and is converted to chloride ions is acidic so the net effect of using one of these is fairly pH neutral!

IF you post the full set of test results we can see better what is going on since many of the readings are dependant on where another reading is (FC/CYA, TA/CH/pH)

Hi waterbear

My buddy's hand wrighting needs work but here goes. The tester is new to the market,i forgot what its called but its digital color reader that uses liquid and pills.

My FCL 3.84,Fla cc?4.43,ph7.5,alk93,cyd-19,ch69. I'm getting the Taylor test Kit 2006 next week. it looks like the way to go.

Thank you for your help. i'm using dichlor.my tub is an nordic crown xl.

104 Degrees.

Since your CYA is testing at 19 ppm (I assume that is what CYD means, never saw that one before!) you should stop using the dichlor and switch to an unstabilized chlorine. Since your calcium hardness is so low cal hypo would be a good choice. HTH chlorine spa sanitizer and HTH chlorine spa shock are both cal hypo. You could also use liquid chorine or bleach (both sodium hypochlorite), or lithium hypochorite (very expensive!) instead but if you did I would add some calcium chloride to raise the calcium levels to about 125 ppm.

Sounds like this tester is the LaMotte ColorQ. It just came out. Don't know too much about it but Lamotte chemistries are good and dependable! It's the only other company besides Taylor that I would recommend.