General Contracting My Own Pool

jshusa

Gc'ing my own pool need help ! any suggestion or advice appreciated

need more info. around here, I would not try it. It would be tough to find a sub who could do some of the more specialized work like.

however, I would need more info than you have given, namely, what kind of pool are you building?? vinyl, gunite, fiberglass.....

need more info. around here, I would not try it. It would be tough to find a sub who could do some of the more specialized work like.

however, I would need more info than you have given, namely, what kind of pool are you building?? vinyl, gunite, fiberglass.....

Gunite, 33' by 14' kind of kidney shape with spa 7'

It is not that hard. You can do it.

Yeah, know 3 people who have done it & save alot of money & pools look great - everything top of the line

1 of them will help as much as posible but our schedules dont work out

Thanks

I just finished working on a pool that was built byu the homeowner. The pool was 2" out of level (yes, 2"). The plumbing leaks (found drain PVC fittings rather than underground fittings and he did not slant the deck properly causing water to pool at one end. So if you are going to build your own pool, be careful because you'll have only you to blame afterwards.

Also a the General Contractor you will be liable for injuries in your pool so follow APSP standards.

I just finished working on a pool that was built byu the homeowner. The pool was 2" out of level (yes, 2"). The plumbing leaks (found drain PVC fittings rather than underground fittings and he did not slant the deck properly causing water to pool at one end. So if you are going to build your own pool, be careful because you'll have only you to blame afterwards.

Also a the General Contractor you will be liable for injuries in your pool so follow APSP standards.

Well I see that this post was a wate of time!

All the subs that I have contacted do work for 1 or more of the Pool Builders in the area. lic & insured

as a Pool builder what is it that you can offer? other than 20-30% higher cost in building my pool? you as a builder do not do the work! You sub contract. you schedule and get paid for somthing anyone can do with research. You can find horror stories & complaints with any Pool Builder just check bbb or ask someone who has had a pool built. The Pool builder that built my sisters pool is one of the largest but she had nothing but a nightmare. wont return calls now that pool is done.

I have been recearching this for over 1 yr, ready to go! just looking for constructive advice, Not scare tactics

I'll keep my 20-30% savings Thanks anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that pool companies generally subcontract some or with others most the work. However I disagree with both your assessment of value and profit. As the builder, we are responsible for material selection and staging, design (often the subs spend little time understanding the hydraulics, design and engineering considerations), warranty, customer support once the pool is installed and the liability for the pool (the sub is a secondary insured). Both the sub and the builder must have comparable insurance. If you have the time and the inclination to do this yourself, then it will save you money as it would with any home improvement project, but be aware of the risks and responsibilities. If you have friends who have done this then talk to them because postin the open ended question with no difinitive question is a waste of time. If you are trying to address a slope issue, determine how to find reputable subs for your area, looking for design literature then ask for it, but to ask for advice is like asking "I want to rebuild a car, how do I do it?"

Well I see that this post was a wate of time!

All the subs that I have contacted do work for 1 or more of the Pool Builders in the area. lic & insured

as a Pool builder what is it that you can offer? other than 20-30% higher cost in building my pool? you as a builder do not do the work! You sub contract. you schedule and get paid for somthing anyone can do with research. You can find horror stories & complaints with any Pool Builder just check bbb or ask someone who has had a pool built. The Pool builder that built my sisters pool is one of the largest but she had nothing but a nightmare. wont return calls now that pool is done.

I have been recearching this for over 1 yr, ready to go! just looking for constructive advice, Not scare tactics

I'll keep my 20-30% savings Thanks anyway!

You should take the advice that was given to you a bit more seriousely. Not anyone can build a pool through research. It's obvious you think that all pool builders are contractors. Not so. Our company only subs out the final marbledust and electric. We excavate, form, steel, shoot our own gunite.

ONe thing a pool builder can offer is the fact that the subs who are on the job will be loyal and motivated to do good work if they ever want to do business with the builder again. If you find your own subs, they may or may not do the greatest job. If there is a problem, and you are kidding yourself if you think there won't be some sort of problem with a large construction project such as this, then the finger pointing will begin. Nothing will be anybody's fault. Well, it will be someones problem, YOURS.

You lump all builders into the nightmare category also. Again, not true. through Careful research, checking references, and recomendations from associates, you can find a reputable builder. I am sorry your sister had a problem. Nothing right about that. But if this company was so large, then did they just decide one day to do a crappy job for her? They probably did the same thing to lots of others. Careful checking of references could have avoided that.

Nobody is trying to scare you either. It's just that there is so much specialized knowledge that goes into building a pool. I am talking about the kind of knowledge you get from being in the hole working for years, not looking on the internet.

Go ahead and try it yourself, and if you build a good pool, then more power to you. I would estimate that most people would not have the ability to do this. Building a house would be easier.

I agree that pool companies generally subcontract some or with others most the work. However I disagree with both your assessment of value and profit. As the builder, we are responsible for material selection and staging, design (often the subs spend little time understanding the hydraulics, design and engineering considerations), warranty, customer support once the pool is installed and the liability for the pool (the sub is a secondary insured). Both the sub and the builder must have comparable insurance. If you have the time and the inclination to do this yourself, then it will save you money as it would with any home improvement project, but be aware of the risks and responsibilities. If you have friends who have done this then talk to them because postin the open ended question with no difinitive question is a waste of time. If you are trying to address a slope issue, determine how to find reputable subs for your area, looking for design literature then ask for it, but to ask for advice is like asking "I want to rebuild a car, how do I do it?"

Hey thanks for the advise!

got all bids & subs lined up. I saving my self just over $11,000.00 dollars but need your opinion on pebble tec vs pebble sheen vs armorcoat vs regular plaster ?

thanks again for your advise

You should take the advice that was given to you a bit more seriousely. Not anyone can build a pool through research. It's obvious you think that all pool builders are contractors. Not so. Our company only subs out the final marbledust and electric. We excavate, form, steel, shoot our own gunite.

ONe thing a pool builder can offer is the fact that the subs who are on the job will be loyal and motivated to do good work if they ever want to do business with the builder again. If you find your own subs, they may or may not do the greatest job. If there is a problem, and you are kidding yourself if you think there won't be some sort of problem with a large construction project such as this, then the finger pointing will begin. Nothing will be anybody's fault. Well, it will be someones problem, YOURS.

You lump all builders into the nightmare category also. Again, not true. through Careful research, checking references, and recomendations from associates, you can find a reputable builder. I am sorry your sister had a problem. Nothing right about that. But if this company was so large, then did they just decide one day to do a crappy job for her? They probably did the same thing to lots of others. Careful checking of references could have avoided that.

Nobody is trying to scare you either. It's just that there is so much specialized knowledge that goes into building a pool. I am talking about the kind of knowledge you get from being in the hole working for years, not looking on the internet.

Go ahead and try it yourself, and if you build a good pool, then more power to you. I would estimate that most people would not have the ability to do this. Building a house would be easier.

Yeah your right it is my problem! but at least now I can afford an Attorney!

List of references great idea! WoW ! You mean like the list my sister was supplied by the Pool co.

of all the happy customers? Funny how that works out?

Again your correct, the internet was a waste of time.

Thanks for the advise & motivation

Yeah your right it is my problem! but at least now I can afford an Attorney!

List of references great idea! WoW ! You mean like the list my sister was supplied by the Pool co.

of all the happy customers? Funny how that works out?

Again your correct, the internet was a waste of time.

Thanks for the advise & motivation

I'll stop now. it's obvious that you are the kind of person who just likes to be a smart ass. Your sarcasm really does not impress anyone. The only advice I would offer is this: treat the subs you hire with more respect than you have treated me.

As a designer that works for a pool contracting company I would like to add my two cents in.

Assuming your 11,000 savings is correct and assuming you are saving 20-30% on a pool it means the original bid was from anywhere from $37-55k. I can tell you for a fact that on pools in this area there have many unforseens that occur.

When a GC builds your pool, usually they will eat most of the unforseens unless its a hard-dig or sometimes overbreak. While you would have to pay for the unforseens (these usually range anywhere from 500-2000).

Also, a good GC will have a great superintendent that will be at your jobsite after almost every stage to check the work. This person will know where the smallest mistakes are and demand that the sub-contractor comes back and fixes it. Do you truly believe you will know where the mistakes are? Oh btw, trust me when I say subcontractors mess up and they do it quite often.

Next issue, did you factor in the amount of hours you are going to waste on this project? Now since most people work for a living, and you are going to be probably wasting about 50-70hrs on this project and those are hours you could be earning money.

Also even though we mark up 20-35%, we mark up WHOLESALE prices which are completely different than RETAIL prices which you most likely be paying.

I would also like to add the fact that even though you are saving money, you are going to take two times longer to build your own pool because sub-contractors are only going to do your jobs when they get a chance. Sub-contractors will take a GC job over you job. Also, many GC's can call in favors or push the subs to do the work in faster if needed.

Now, if you believe you can handle the whole project, make sure its done properly, and that you already factor in your hours, I do have two suggestions

1) Get a bottle, acutally make that two, of aspirin YOU WILL NEED IT when dealing with subcontractors and trying to finish the project in a timely manner

2) Do as much research as you can and I suggest trying to find a superintendent that will oversee your job.

In our company we have helped many people build their own pools, and I believe only one person out of all them did it and was happy. That person was a GC himself in his previous life. The rest ended up losing a time, some lost money, and all of them acutally refferred us saying that building your own pool is too hard.

I'll stop now. it's obvious that you are the kind of person who just likes to be a smart ass. Your sarcasm really does not impress anyone. The only advice I would offer is this: treat the subs you hire with more respect than you have treated me.

Respect?

You have to earn respect not demand it! I have seen a couple of your responces to people looking for help you treat them as if their stupid. As if your the only one who knows how to build a pool. Get off your soap box. If truely you know what your doing quit being a pompass ass and help people!

If not PLEASE DO STOP!

As a designer that works for a pool contracting company I would like to add my two cents in.

Assuming your 11,000 savings is correct and assuming you are saving 20-30% on a pool it means the original bid was from anywhere from $37-55k. I can tell you for a fact that on pools in this area there have many unforseens that occur.

When a GC builds your pool, usually they will eat most of the unforseens unless its a hard-dig or sometimes overbreak. While you would have to pay for the unforseens (these usually range anywhere from 500-2000).

Also, a good GC will have a great superintendent that will be at your jobsite after almost every stage to check the work. This person will know where the smallest mistakes are and demand that the sub-contractor comes back and fixes it. Do you truly believe you will know where the mistakes are? Oh btw, trust me when I say subcontractors mess up and they do it quite often.

Next issue, did you factor in the amount of hours you are going to waste on this project? Now since most people work for a living, and you are going to be probably wasting about 50-70hrs on this project and those are hours you could be earning money.

Also even though we mark up 20-35%, we mark up WHOLESALE prices which are completely different than RETAIL prices which you most likely be paying.

I would also like to add the fact that even though you are saving money, you are going to take two times longer to build your own pool because sub-contractors are only going to do your jobs when they get a chance. Sub-contractors will take a GC job over you job. Also, many GC's can call in favors or push the subs to do the work in faster if needed.

Now, if you believe you can handle the whole project, make sure its done properly, and that you already factor in your hours, I do have two suggestions

1) Get a bottle, acutally make that two, of aspirin YOU WILL NEED IT when dealing with subcontractors and trying to finish the project in a timely manner

2) Do as much research as you can and I suggest trying to find a superintendent that will oversee your job.

In our company we have helped many people build their own pools, and I believe only one person out of all them did it and was happy. That person was a GC himself in his previous life. The rest ended up losing a time, some lost money, and all of them acutally refferred us saying that building your own pool is too hard.

Thanks fo the advise!

Yeah pool was bid between $42,00.00 to $48,000.00

with my up gardedd equipment and added decking, land scapping, sitting at just over $32,000.00 plus the $2000.00 of unforseens as you have so kindly pointed out if needed will put me just over $34,000.00

As for contractors funny how cash speaks volumes.

As you stated your mark up is 20-35%. So your assumtion on my savings would be correct. I have added the landscaping so savings not quite as high.

My buudy who is helping did his pool in 38 days his brother in-law 42. shorter time than pool builder would commit to.

subs I have decided to go with have been a tremendous help! Not anything close to the blood sucking leaches that subs have portaryed to be by others on this site.

Listen, I understood when desided to go forth with this project it would not be easy. I though I would look for some encourgament from this site. So far ha not happened. I'm documenting everything i have encounterd good and bad, will help anyone on this site or any other who would like to save that 20 to 35% mark up.

thanks on the asprin tip, maybe best advise I have recieved on this site ?

Sorry,

I did not realize was it really that difficult of a question? My first time building a pool.

I have learned if you have any question just ask your subs they are extreemly helpful, more than willing to give you advise. If you dont have some kind of trust in your sub find another! I give them more credit than you people do. next question I have I will type slower, not so difficult.

hey, I did what you're doing, was hard at first, i should've looked on forusm ages, i found an ebook that helped lots, think it was from www.swimmingpoolbuyerguide.com or email me coz we're not allowed links are we? :ph34r:

Thanks, I found that link also. I'm lucky I have a couple of friends that did the same so it does help

I think it is hard at first because it it unfimular territory a little scary. but If you built one you can Build hundred. why not save the 20-35% ? I believe you are able to give me better & more honest info insted of the scare tactics I have recied on this post! YOU DON"T HAVE TO USE A POOL CONTRACTOR!

Thanks again

PEOPLE YOU DON'T NEED A POOL CONTRACTOR! YOU CAN BUILD IT YOURSELF!

nobody is saying your or anybody else is stupid. If hearing the truth pains you that much, don't ask the question.

you jumped on everyone who did not respond, "yeah you are right, the 20-30% you pay is a waste, you can do it"

you have been rude to eveyone who does not agree with you.

answers like " oh really?" and "I should have thought of that" are sarcastic, and you seem to have an attitude that pool builders just sit on their fannys, make a few calls and pocket a check. There is so much more that goes into it like the previous poster said about checking on it every day, staying on top of subs, etc...

from someone who has been there and done that, it's not as easy as you think. I said if you can do it, then more power to you, and that's what I meant. I would be pretty impressed if when your pool is done that it's right, and you still saved the money.

"I did not realize was it really that difficult of a question? My first time building a pool.

I have learned if you have any question just ask your subs they are extreemly helpful, more than willing to give you advise. If you dont have some kind of trust in your sub find another! I give them more credit than you people do. next question I have I will type slower, not so difficult."

you think the above is treating people with respect? implying that the person who wrote that is stupid? very nice.

just because I am not agreeing with every statement you made does not make me pompass. The truth is myself and other professionals know a hell of a lot more about building a pool than you ever will and we know how hard it can be when it's your job to do it every day. Knowing what I know, I could not have a clear conscience if I came on here and told you that "it's easy" or "not that hard"

I have no hidden agenda here. It's no money out of my pocket if you build your own pool, succed or fail.

and those subs who are so helpful now...that's great. I would watch out though. that story could change once they have your money and you need them to come back.

Nobody said you absolutely can't do it. anything is possible. it's just that by what you write, you seem to think it's a lot easier than it really is. sorry to have offended you

• 2 weeks later...

I sub contracted my pool, easy and saved a lot of money. If you dont mind paying cash you will even save more. Remember, get a bid and then asked how much more of a discount you will get if paid in cash, you will be suprised. Also let them know that you have other friends that are planning to build there own pools and that you will refer them once the work is done. I built my pool for $23,000 with all the perks and with no experience.

Remember, you do have rights. When I got my permit for my pool, the permit office handed me a brochure on owner built pools rights.

Good luck and be patient.

• 2 weeks later...

I sub contracted my pool, easy and saved a lot of money. If you dont mind paying cash you will even save more. Remember, get a bid and then asked how much more of a discount you will get if paid in cash, you will be suprised. Also let them know that you have other friends that are planning to build there own pools and that you will refer them once the work is done. I built my pool for $23,000 with all the perks and with no experience.

Remember, you do have rights. When I got my permit for my pool, the permit office handed me a brochure on owner built pools rights.

Good luck and be patient.

definately good advise offering to pay cash, just get a receipt anyway...LOL!!! also the promise of referrals will go a long way. A few beers skillfully placed by a work truck at the end of the day will also get good results.

• 4 weeks later...

haha

I am new to this forum, however I am not new to attempting to put a pool on my property. I can tell you my experience with pool contractors are that they are greedy, will not return phone calls, and deceptive. Bait and switch is real common. I contracted with a company in the North Bay area of California and after 7 months of them holding my deposite they finally gave it back. I have had prior bids for my pool which were in the range of $100,000 for a standard rectangle pool on a hillside! So I hired a consultant and will be an owner/builder. I have just began this process and will be having soils engineering conducted and then structural plans suitable for my design.

I have learned much by my own research, however I have not been hands on yet. I consider that the real test of experience. So I will attempt to keep tuned to this post to learn and share my experience.

I do have questions about equipment. Jandy is my consultant's choice of equipment products as a whole package. I believe because of the proedge warranty. Any ideas or is this a solid choice?

Thanks

• 8 months later...

:D Hello everyone,

Well I did finish pool everything went great, contractors were very helpful.

The people across street started about 3 weeks before I did and finshed about 1 month after us.

Their contractor even came over and asked if he could take pictures of our pool. he said we did a great job.

Had one prblem with heater 5 mo. after build called my plumber was out to my house next day,

(and he already had been paid all his money?) WoW! I did not expect that per this blog (scare tactic)

Went so well I'm starting another Pool at mother in-laws after christmas.

If anyone has questions or like to see pictures just ask.

Thanks John

[/u]You Don't Have To Use A Pool Contractor!

I am new to this forum, however I am not new to attempting to put a pool on my property. I can tell you my experience with pool contractors are that they are greedy, will not return phone calls, and deceptive. Bait and switch is real common. I contracted with a company in the North Bay area of California and after 7 months of them holding my deposite they finally gave it back. I have had prior bids for my pool which were in the range of $100,000 for a standard rectangle pool on a hillside! So I hired a consultant and will be an owner/builder. I have just began this process and will be having soils engineering conducted and then structural plans suitable for my design.

I have learned much by my own research, however I have not been hands on yet. I consider that the real test of experience. So I will attempt to keep tuned to this post to learn and share my experience.

I do have questions about equipment. Jandy is my consultant's choice of equipment products as a whole package. I believe because of the proedge warranty. Any ideas or is this a solid choice?

Thanks

Hey Goose,

You sound like one of those renegades! troublel makers! Good For You!

So If you have read this whole post you know your house is going to be swallowed up by the hole you are

digging in the back yard? Just remenber we warned you!

So enough of that,

Goose, I know you are most likley done with your Pool but wanted to encourage anyone else thinking about

building a pool. I found this site to be of little help for people who are determined to build their own pool.

with that said.

take your time and trust your research, subs and consultant (if hired one). if you have had any freinds

that have done same ask them. Ask your subs they well be more help than you think.

At fist seems a little overwhelming, But you will be ok. like you I never built Pool before it really was time

consuming, fun and rewarding, both fiancially (savings) and as a indvidual who had no clue what he was

doing and now is building another.

I learned alot Ask for cash discounts. I did not pay any of my subs until their part of build was done. make sure you

get lean release when you pay subs or don't pay until you have in your hand

The only problem I had was my landscaper fighting with my deck guy, Fired landscaper. done!

Nice to see another reble out there.

John