General Contracting My Own Pool

jshusa

DNK,

You are an arrogant piece of ****! You are so ignorant it is sick, you are a contractor but all you do is bad mouth your own kind so what does that tell you ? Like I have been saying build it yourself! to avoid scum bags like yourself! FU and your scare tactic's! If anyone listens to this idiot you deserve just what you get!

Just read any of his replies or posts he is useless! He is arrogant and is really just worthless do yourself a favor ignore him, seek out somone else to answer your questions.

BUILD IT YOURSELF!

JSH,

I am a sub for a couple of pool companies. I have encountered a few pool companies that are not as good as others. Appearantly, you have had a bad experience. You seem almost hostile. Most subs work for several pool builders because there are few pool companies that can keep a concrete guy, electrician, plumbers, etc. busy 5 days a week. My experiences when customers have tried to do it themselves, is that, they don't know if something is being done right or not. Heck, there are a lot of pool companies that don't know when something is done wrong until the pool is in. Every sub out there is going to tell you they know what they are doing and have been doing it for 20 + years. I am an electrician, and I was out on a service call today. The customer had an intelli-touch system that I had to reprogram and add some sensors. He also told me his heater temp would rapidly climb and then shut off. I noticed that the arrow pointing in (inlet) was hooked up as the outlet. This was plumbed by a company that has been around for a while. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it happens alot. Most of the subs are going to charge you a premium price over what they would charge the pool company since it is a one time job versus repeat business. But overall you should still save quite a bit. Unfotunately all the reasons why you shouldn't do it yourself would sound like a scare tactic. Personally, I would be more inclined to do a fiberglass pool myself over a gunite. Again, I am a sub, not a GC. I wouldn't be afraid to put my own pool in, but I see these everyday in various stages of construction and would stand a pretty good chance of catching something that didn't look right. Usually, the things that go wrong, are not things you can see. I have seen plumbers use regular glue on flex pipe, which holds for a while, but eventually turns loose. These events are what would eat up any savings of doing it yourself. Also, around here, most banks wouldn't loan money to you to do your own pool. Home equity or cash become your only options. As with most things construction, reading a book only takes you so far, it really is a baptism by fire. I'm not trying to scare you, obviously you've already done your own. If you had gotten a sub that messed something up, what is your leverage to get him back out there? With a pool company, he knows he has to make it right or they quit using him. With you, he can blow you off. It can turn it to a much bigger nightmare than dealing with a licensed and bonded pool company. The other thing is, no one is going to come on here and admit that they tried to do it themselves and screwed it all up. I see many jobs where the customer thought they would save money by putting in their own sub-panels only to have me tell them that they won't pass inspection and I am liable for their work if I tie into it. Usually, instead of getting a decent panel like a GE 125 Amp panel ($37 at home depot) they opt for the $27 panel that doesn't have enough space to make up connections and doesn't have room for a real ground bar. They undersize the wire and oversize the breakers and they all have brothers/cousins/friends who are master electricians who put this in for them. So, to sum it all up, sure you can save money doing it yourself. If you can get references for the trades and check them out to know they do good work, do it. If you do that, you should be ok. Don't max out your pool and keep a fair amount "in reserve" for the just in case and you will have a high percentage of success. Once again, I'm not trying to flame you or be argumentative, just trying to shed some insight from a sub contractor.

TXT

• 1 month later...

JSH-

You do seem a bit hostile.

My wife and I were getting ready to build a pool several months ago. We looked hard at going owner/builder.

My father is also a contrtactor. We talked about my dad or myself being the GC, but in the end we just felt more comfortable paying someone else to do it. And to be honest, as many headaches as I had keeping up with everything while I had a contractor, being my own GC would have been even worse.

I'm glad your project went well, I just don't know if that's the route for me.

The good news is, both of our pools seem to be holding water and the kids are swimming!

:D

• 1 month later...

I say go for it. I am also owner/builder and planning to break ground this December. I have found that networking is great. I have lived in my town for 52 years, my ex was a contractor, and I am and have been a high school teacher. Many of my students parents are into construction both home and pool and have been great at giving me advice, direction, and many leads. I always checkout everyone with the BBB and by word of mouth. I am finding that people are very good about helping. I have built two homes, but this is the first inground pool. I think that you will do fine. It will probably be very challenging, but many of us love a challenge. I say take it slow and be very selective. Be patient with yourself and with the others, but demand the job be done to your satisfaction. The houses I built were challenging but none could match the craftmanship, as I was on top of everything done and made sure I knew what I was doing, just as any professional would do. I listen and take in all advice, then I weight it and calculate it compared to all other.....check, check and recheck with others then proceed. You will do great and keep me informed as to your success. Remember to ask pool owners "What would you have done different if you built again".

• 1 month later...

Wow, there sure is a lot of emotion around this topic. I can understand both views. The contractors view this as a threat to their livelihood. The owner/builder wants to save money. But there is no reason to resort to namecalling from either side. The owner/builders should let their results speak for themselves. The contractor really is not threatened because there are soooo many homeowners that would never take on this job.

Anyways, I am planning to be a owner/builder. I will be starting in August. Realistically, saving money is not as important to me as the satisfaction of saying "I did this" (but I do like a da saving money!). Concerning the sub-contractors, if you carefully select ones that you can verify that they have been around awhile and are insured and have references, then you have little to worry about. Make sure they have assets that you can sue them for if they don't back their work properly. Concerning things like sloping, electrical spec, plumbing specs. you should be working from an engineered plan (with an engineer's stamp) designed for your specific property. This plan will cover all of those things. As far as subs not caring about you because you are a "one shot" I have that covered as well. I started with the largest gunite company and asked them who they prefer to work with. They gave me a list of subs to get bids from. Those subs know that I got their names from the gunite company and they know that I will be bad mouthing them to their peers if they screw me. So I am not really worried about that. Oh yeah, make darn sure you get the lien release after you paid them!!

This is my first post to this forum and I will start a thread and post pics and such of my pool build progress. Can anyone recomend other pool forums?

Thanks,

Robert

• 1 month later...
Gc'ing my own pool need help ! any suggestion or advice appreciated

B) What state are you in? Did you finish your pool? We had a company do our first pool and it seemed I did all the work the pool company should have done. Now that we moved we are going to do another one and I think I can sub it myself. Do you have any advise? I kept a diary of our first project, and have the subs, may want to interview more though. Let me know how your project is going. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I hope everything works out well for you. Although you seem t have made it through the process in one piece, I would advise building your own pool is not a good decision for most people. The subcontractors who work for our company are great people, and would probably try and help an owner-builder as well, but I can assure you that no owner-builder would get the same level of commitment to quality that we do because there is no ongoing relationship.

Also, there are a lot fo things that can go wrong when attempting to build your own pool. I sincerely hope you didn't experince any major issues. But for an owner-builder that does have a serious issue during the constrction of their pool, it can be a very scary and potentially financially disastrous situation.

Please don't hesitate to post any questions if you have any follow-up questions as everyone here is actually willing to help, although they may not sound encouraging at times, but that's just because they know the potential hazards that face people who decide to build their own pool instead of having a professional pool contractor build it. Best of luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
nobody is saying your or anybody else is stupid. If hearing the truth pains you that much, don't ask the question.

you jumped on everyone who did not respond, "yeah you are right, the 20-30% you pay is a waste, you can do it"

you have been rude to eveyone who does not agree with you.

answers like " oh really?" and "I should have thought of that" are sarcastic, and you seem to have an attitude that pool builders just sit on their fannys, make a few calls and pocket a check. There is so much more that goes into it like the previous poster said about checking on it every day, staying on top of subs, etc...

from someone who has been there and done that, it's not as easy as you think. I said if you can do it, then more power to you, and that's what I meant. I would be pretty impressed if when your pool is done that it's right, and you still saved the money.

"I did not realize was it really that difficult of a question? My first time building a pool.

I have learned if you have any question just ask your subs they are extreemly helpful, more than willing to give you advise. If you dont have some kind of trust in your sub find another! I give them more credit than you people do. next question I have I will type slower, not so difficult."

you think the above is treating people with respect? implying that the person who wrote that is stupid? very nice.

just because I am not agreeing with every statement you made does not make me pompass. The truth is myself and other professionals know a hell of a lot more about building a pool than you ever will and we know how hard it can be when it's your job to do it every day. Knowing what I know, I could not have a clear conscience if I came on here and told you that "it's easy" or "not that hard"

I have no hidden agenda here. It's no money out of my pocket if you build your own pool, succed or fail.

and those subs who are so helpful now...that's great. I would watch out though. that story could change once they have your money and you need them to come back.

Nobody said you absolutely can't do it. anything is possible. it's just that by what you write, you seem to think it's a lot easier than it really is. sorry to have offended you

Not agreeing? No hidden agenda? At least be honest with yourself!

Have you read any these post? Not just this one any question anyone has? you jerk off's treat everyone with disrespect!

Quit patting yourself on the back, Trust me one pool or 100 it not that difficult!

20-30% savings

PEOPLE YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY SOME CLOWN 20-30% COMMISSION - 20-30%?

I agree that pool companies generally subcontract some or with others most the work. However I disagree with both your assessment of value and profit. As the builder, we are responsible for material selection and staging, design (often the subs spend little time understanding the hydraulics, design and engineering considerations), warranty, customer support once the pool is installed and the liability for the pool (the sub is a secondary insured). Both the sub and the builder must have comparable insurance. If you have the time and the inclination to do this yourself, then it will save you money as it would with any home improvement project, but be aware of the risks and responsibilities. If you have friends who have done this then talk to them because postin the open ended question with no difinitive question is a waste of time. If you are trying to address a slope issue, determine how to find reputable subs for your area, looking for design literature then ask for it, but to ask for advice is like asking "I want to rebuild a car, how do I do it?"

Your an idiot!

Next time I will type slower so you can keep up!

The question was any advise?

People look at the name of this company and investigate, realllllly investigate!

This guy cannot even keep up with a simple question? So do you think if this guy can build a pool

chances are so can you?

People you don't need to pay somone like this 20 30%

I just finished working on a pool that was built byu the homeowner. The pool was 2" out of level (yes, 2"). The plumbing leaks (found drain PVC fittings rather than underground fittings and he did not slant the deck properly causing water to pool at one end. So if you are going to build your own pool, be careful because you'll have only you to blame afterwards.

Also a the General Contractor you will be liable for injuries in your pool so follow APSP standards.

Thanks I'll take that into consideration

You're coming back 2 years later to be ugly to people?

A few pointers... you're is a contraction for "you are". That would be the word you want to use rather than "your"

This sentence: Quit patting yourself on the back, Trust me one pool or 100 it not that difficult!

should read: Quit patting yourself on the back. Trust me, one pool or 100, it's not that difficult!

If you want to tell people off, you would do better to not make yourself look like an idiot in the process. HTH

I sub contracted my pool, easy and saved a lot of money. If you dont mind paying cash you will even save more. Remember, get a bid and then asked how much more of a discount you will get if paid in cash, you will be suprised. Also let them know that you have other friends that are planning to build there own pools and that you will refer them once the work is done. I built my pool for $23,000 with all the perks and with no experience.

Remember, you do have rights. When I got my permit for my pool, the permit office handed me a brochure on owner built pools rights.

Good luck and be patient.

I don't know what your state laws are but I would suggest that when you pay your sub you get a lien release affidavid or whatever your state accepts - Not saying your subs are untrustworthy its just part of the job. And it might be a good idea to get a workers comp release form for your subs too if they are allowed in your state, or find out if you have to have workers comp for your subs as a home owner/ builder. Also I would check with your city regarding permits and barrier requirements and backflow prevention inspections if applicable.

Hope that was helpful?

After seeing the remodeling industry sky rocket since the economy SH%^ the bed. I can honestly tell you that I have no interest in buying a home where the homeowner built his own pool, unless he or she was in the industry. In the long run it is a huge repair issue. We assist friends here in FL with building there own pools but we make sure each of the phases are correct by stopping by and keeping an eye on the project. We also line them up with our subs, acting as the middle man. We generally try to stay away from folks who want to piece out portions of there job because the liability is to high. I wish you luck. I agree with the other contractors that it is not a great idea to to try this yourself but if you really believe that you are making the right decision. I would hire a consultant to guide you through the process. Good Luck.