Is My Ozonator Doing Anything?

I have a Belize (like sold by this website's sponsor) since 2002 and it keeps running and running- just needed to twist on a couple new jets and now I’m finally replacing the waterlogged cover. I added the company’s own ozonator to the ozonator port after install but I could never tell if it did anything. Is there any way for me to tell if the ozonator is doing anything? :wacko:

I've been hesitant to respond because I don't have a good answer for this, but since it's been a while with no recommendation, here's my two cents worth. The ozonator should be best at breaking down organic compounds, that is oxidizing, but if you also have an SWG system in addition to an ozonator you'll have to turn off the SWG since it too is good at oxidizing.

I would take a small amount of dye typically used for pools (e.g. "Party Blue") and put one drop in the skimmer with the ozonator running. See if you can see dye color coming out of the returns after allowing enough time to circulate through the system. Perhaps you can first do the test with the ozonator turned off since it should be obvious when the dye color comes out of the returns and how long that takes. Then, turn the ozonator on and repeat the experiment. If you notice a significant difference in having less or no visible dye come out of the returns when the ozonator is on, then this proves it is working very effectively.

On the other hand, one drop of dye might be so much as to overwhelm the ozonator in which case the test may not show the ozonator "working", but that doesn't mean it's not doing anything at all -- just that it can't handle one drop of dye's worth of organics in one pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you asking if it is doing anything or if it is turning on? if you are wonding if it is turning on there should be a little window on the ozone that will become faintly lite when on or you can pop the hose off where the ozone injects. Hold the hose to your nose a smell it. you will notice a really clean smell if it works. kinda like the smell after a lightning storm. If you do notice that smell, check and see if the injection point is sucking air like it is supposed to.