Caldera V Others

spavirgin

My family and I have been looking for our first tub for about 6 weeks now. In no particular order, these are the models we have looked at so far.

Tiger River Caspian

D1 Sojourn

Beachcomber 580

Sundance Chelsee

Marquis (model escapes me)

Caldera Niagara

The local MasterSpa dealer is a joke, so we are not considering them. The local Arctic dealer failed, and the next closest is 120 miles away, so that is not really an option. Today I stopped at the Caldera dealer in Green Bay, and liked what I saw, and felt confident with the staff. They have a wet 2006 Niagara floor model with everything included for 6900.00, before any haggling. We hope to hop in it yet this week. We wet tested the Sundance last week, and I must say I was a bit disappointed, although the local dealer has a great reputation. I would say we have it narrowed down to three, contingent upon wet testing.

Tiger River Caspian

Beachcomber 580

Caldera Niagara

Looking for any rational opinions on pro/cons of these three.

Thanks

My family and I have been looking for our first tub for about 6 weeks now. In no particular order, these are the models we have looked at so far.

Tiger River Caspian

D1 Sojourn

Beachcomber 580

Sundance Chelsee

Caldera Niagara

The local MasterSpa dealer is a joke, so we are not considering them. The local Arctic dealer failed, and the next closest is 120 miles away, so that is not really an option. Today I stopped at the Caldera dealer in Green Bay, and liked what I saw, and felt confident with the staff. They have a wet 2006 Niagara floor model with everything included for 6900.00, before any haggling. We hope to hop in it yet this week. We wet tested the Sundance last week, and I must say I was a bit disappointed, although the local dealer has a great reputation. I would say we have it narrowed down to three, contingent upon wet testing.

Tiger River Caspian

Beachcomber 580

Caldera Niagara

Thanks

spavirgin,

I currently own a Tiger River Caspian and am getting a Caldera next month.

The Capsian is a great tub for the money and it has met or exceeded what I expected. The foot dome is great, and the tub itself is a nice mix of scultped seats and a bit of open seating. I have mine for 2 years without problems and think it's a great tub. I have the optional FreshwaterIII ozinator installed as well. I have mine outside in New England running year round and the energy bills are what the claim. The cool off seats are nice too. While the Tiger river line of tubs is considered to be a lower priced option or "sister tub" to the Hotsprings line , (Both made by Watkins) I've found it to be a great tub and for the money and have nothing but good things to say about it. I recomened it.

Definatly Wet Test. The Caspian is a relatively shallow tub at 320 gallons and taller folks find it a bit too shallow for them. I'm not the biggest guy, and neither is my wife, and it fits us great. Our friends also feel it's comfortable. However, I;ve spoken to a few folks that really liked the tub, but when they wet tested found it just a tad small.

I am also getting a Caldera Geneva, and have heard nothing but excellent things about them. Like Tiger River they are made by Watkins (Who also make Hotsprings, Solana and Hot spot hot tubs). The Geneva is the sister tub to the Niagra (Geneva has the lounger, the Niagra does not). I would Consider the Niagra a big step up from the Tiger River, as it is bigger, deeper, more jets (and more of the larger jests, Notice the Caspain has more of the smaller jets), slightly more horse power,a few more bells and whitsles (Air jets, stainless steel trim, wrist jes, the Atlas neck blaster, changing lights, ozinator is standard, outside cabinet lights, 2 contol pads.....) and of course, several thousand more $$.

Once again, Wet Test this tub. It's siginiacantly deeper (500 Gallons) and laid out differntly than the Tiger River.

When looking at the Niagra, I wasn't thrilled with the hybrd lounger thing they tried to do. It seemed akward. If you want a lounger, go Geneva. No lounger, go Niagra. But that morphed seat was neither. Also, the Niagra, you'll have to fuddle with Diverters for operating the seats at different water/jet pressures. (The Tiger River has no diverters, just pump speeds)

These are two very good tubs, but in what I consider these two tubs to be two different "classes" of tubs . (And each to be in the top end of thier respective classes) and significanlty different.

I can't comment on the Beach Comber, other than say they I have heard thet have a decent reputation.

I hope this helps.

Oh yea....Wet test! :)

Wait a Sec....did you say the 06 Niagra was being offered for $6900 with everything? :blink: Are you sure it's the Niagra?!?!?!?? I am floored.

Wet test it and bring you Check book. * NOW.* GO * STop reading this. GO. That's an unheard of price with everything included.

I paid that that in 05 for my Capsian. :wacko:

Tiger River Caspian

Beachcomber 580

Caldera Niagara

Thanks

The wet test really is key but at the same time, that is a great price on the floor model Niagara. Some dealers don't discount their floor models all that much but your dealer obviously is trying to make room for the 07 model and is offering a good deal. You still should wet test but short of it being to deep or not fitting right for some other reason it looks like you have an oppurtunity to get a really good deal.

Wait a Sec....did you say the 06 Niagra was being offered for $6900 with everything? :blink: Are you sure it's the Niagra?!?!?!?? I am floored.

Wet test it and bring you Check book. * NOW.* GO * STop reading this. GO. That's an unheard of price with everything included.

I paid that that in 05 for my Capsian. :wacko:

6900.00 is correct. Dealer said normal retail was 8995.00. Includes steps, new cover, cover lifter, startup chems, delivery.

6900.00 is correct. Dealer said normal retail was 8995.00. Includes steps, new cover, cover lifter, startup chems, delivery.

In another thread posted today, someone is quoted $9400 for the Caldera Tahition.

I'f the Niagra wet test fine, I'd jump on it.

What part of the Country are you in?

My only real concern is the energy costs of this tub versus the others I have been looking at. Not sure how 500 gallons versus 300-350 will affect that.

Thanks

Intersteing question.

Sure a 500 gallon tub is going to cost more than a 320 tub, the Niagra has a larger surface area as well.

On average, my Caspain is about a buck a day. (I don't have kilowat/$ sorry). In January and Febuary it does jump to high 40's but this is Greatly dependent on the weather, and how often and long I use the tub. Your biggest cost is going to be on refills to bring the entire voulume of water up to temp.

Talk to you dealer about the costs to operate. Watkins usually is pretty good about what thier costs are. Thier Hotsprings line offers some sort of guarentee, I don't know if they carry a simlliar policy for the Caldera line?

Also, if energy costs are an issue, perhaps a thermal blancket would help?

My only real concern is the energy costs of this tub versus the others I have been looking at. Not sure how 500 gallons versus 300-350 will affect that.

Thanks

Other than a bit more intial energy to heat the spa up from ambient (not a major difference but obviously more water to get up to temp at start-up), I wouldn't expect a very noticeable difference in energy use between a 350 gallon spa and a similarly insulated 500 gallon spa.

Other than a bit more intial energy to heat the spa up from ambient (not a major difference but obviously more water to get up to temp at start-up), I wouldn't expect a very noticeable difference in energy use between a 350 gallon spa and a similarly insulated 500 gallon spa.

Well even if in the winters, your electric bill goes up 30% more than say what the Tiger River would cost you ( I doubt it would be that high anyhow) We are talking $10 more in Jan and Feb.

On the flip side, your saving $2100 off the top of the price and getting twice the tub.

We checked out that Caldera dealer and weren't impressed. She didn't seem to know a whole lot about the tubs they carried. They also had one tub that had some major "skunky water" when she opened it up.

Are they still carrying Caldera because I thought they were selling Vista spas now? That is a super price however on the Niagara. Wet test it and see if you like it.

Well even if in the winters, your electric bill goes up 30% more than say what the Tiger River would cost you ( I doubt it would be that high anyhow) We are talking $10 more in Jan and Feb.

On the flip side, your saving $2100 off the top of the price and getting twice the tub.

Wet testing tomorrow night. Will let you know how we like it!!

We checked out that Caldera dealer and weren't impressed. She didn't seem to know a whole lot about the tubs they carried. They also had one tub that had some major "skunky water" when she opened it up.

Are they still carrying Caldera because I thought they were selling Vista spas now? That is a super price however on the Niagara. Wet test it and see if you like it.

When did you stop? The woman I talked to was very knowledgable, and had worked at Pool Works for a number of years also.

Tiger River Caspian

D1 Sojourn

Beachcomber 580

Sundance Chelsee

Caldera Niagara

Tiger River Caspian

Beachcomber 580

Caldera Niagara

Thanks

The kids (12 & 14) and I wet tested it tonight, and we all liked it alot. Was not quite ready to make this commitment yet. Ordered a new boat a couple of weeks ago. Told the dealer I would mull it over this weekend, and get back to them Monday. Thanks for any/all responses.

The kids (12 & 14) and I wet tested it tonight, and we all liked it alot. Was not quite ready to make this commitment yet. Ordered a new boat a couple of weeks ago. Told the dealer I would mull it over this weekend, and get back to them Monday. Thanks for any/all responses.

Hey Spa vigirn,

I didn't see any posts, so can I assume you are still a spa virgin or did you take the plunge Monday? :)

Trigger,

Did you get you Niagara yet? 2006 or 2007? If so, how do you like it?

I'm getting the Geneva, and plan to have it installed in May.

Did you buy?

• 3 weeks later...

Tiger River Caspian

D1 Sojourn

Beachcomber 580

Sundance Chelsee

Caldera Niagara

Tiger River Caspian

Beachcomber 580

Caldera Niagara

Thanks

Update as of 5/4/2007

Below is the email I sent to Caldera and the local dealer. Needless to say I was quite pissed off.....

This is a dealer complaint. I had agreed to buy a 2006 Niagara from my local dealer. The only sticking point was the cover lift. I needed something with a very small clearance. The dealer agreed to purchase a Covermate III from another distributor. The last correspondence I had was that they had ordered it, and I assumed we were all set. They never asked for a down payment at all. That was Tuesday afternoon. I have been trying to contact them since then. Today I finally received an email informing me that another salesman sold the spa this morning. They did not even call me to let me know this. I received an email late this afternoon informing me of this. In the email they offered to order another one, as long as I pay the freight. I let them know this was unsatisfactory. I feel they dropped the ball, and if they/Caldera want me as a valued customer, I want the 2007 Niagara with at least the same deal that was in place on the 2006. My family really likes the Niagara, but this has left a sour taste in my mouth. If the next closest dealer was not 100 miles away, I would deal with them. Let me know what assistance you can be, or I will be forced to take my business elsewhere.

I had agreed to buy a 2006 Niagara from my local dealer. The only sticking point was the cover lift.

When you say you "agreed", what did that agreement consist of? Was there any kind of written invoice or anything? Did they give you a quote including the cover lifter, or were they waiting to write out the deal until you agreed on the price with cover lifter?

When you say you "agreed", what did that agreement consist of? Was there any kind of written invoice or anything? Did they give you a quote including the cover lifter, or were they waiting to write out the deal until you agreed on the price with cover lifter?

The package price aggreed to was 6900, including the Caldera branded lifter. My last email was to confirm that they would include the Covermate in the aggreed-to price. That email went unanswered until Friday, when they informed me it was sold to someone else

The package price aggreed to was 6900, including the Caldera branded lifter. My last email was to confirm that they would include the Covermate in the aggreed-to price. That email went unanswered until Friday, when they informed me it was sold to someone else

What was the last thing you had in writing? I'm just wondering what you can take to the dealer and show them "look, you promised to do X." If you have it in writing and they won't honor it, you might be able to take it to Watkins directly. From the comments I've read here and on other forums, Watkins takes its customer service very seriously.