HELP: Hot Spring wireless remote stuck in display diagnostic mode

I have a 2017 Vanguard NXT. The wireless remote control for it has had some water intrusion or something for some time (the LCD has some discoloration that shifts around over time). But it was working fine, function-wise.

Well, today it stopped working. It's now stuck in a continuous "display test" mode where it shows all red pixels for one second, then all green, then all blue, then all white, then a checkerboard pattern, then a finer-grained checkerboard pattern, then black... repeating over and over again (I might have the order slightly wrong).

Holding a finger press on the screen, to try to reboot it, does nothing at all. Doesn't matter how long I hold it, nor what part of the screen. Taking the battery off, then reinstalling, results in it *immediately* starting the same cycle (no boot-up text displayed or anything).

I've googled the hell out of this problem. I can't find anyone describing the same thing. Anybody seen this before? Or have any ideas for further/harder resets? Or am I just stuck buying a $600 replacement remote at this point? Does anyone know how to non-destructively disassemble it? I could at least see if I can dry it out, if that's the problem. I'm wondering if a diagnostic testing pin got shorted to ground or something, given how quickly it starts into the color cycle upon powering up.

• michaelwm changed the title to HELP: Hot Spring wireless remote stuck in display diagnostic mode

Did you buy the tub new from a dealer?  If I'm not mistaken that remote should have a five year warranty.  Mine had a few pixels going bad after a year so I called the dealer and they replaced it free of charge.  If you bought it new from a dealer and depending on when, the controller might still be covered.  If that's the case I'd just call the dealer to find out.

Otherwise I haven't seen that issue before - have you tried removing the battery from the wireless controller for a few seconds and then reinstalling (need to remove the screws on the back cover then pry off the battery)

Alas, this tub came with a house that I bought. As far as I understand it, the warranty is only valid for the first owner.

I'll definitely at least *try* to get "warranty" service for it first. But I'm assuming I'll get shot down. Haven't called the dealer yet.

And yes, I've taken the battery out for long periods of time and reinstalled. One of the "weird" things is that as soon as power is restored, the behavior resumes, without any of the normal "boot up text" that gets displayed when you reset it when it's functioning properly. Which leads me to believe that maybe there's a hardware "display test" pin that's been shorted out by water, or something.