Hot tub for 2 that will fit a couple of friends too

cmh

I'm located in Ottawa, Canada and looking for a hot-tub for year-round use. As we have a small backyard, I am looking for a rectangular model as opposed to a square. 

The tub will mostly be used by me and my wife, but we would like to be able to occasionally shoehorn in another couple (e.g. if we have friends over for dinner). So far I have identified the Hydropool Serenity 4000 and the Coast Omega as potential options. These are nice because they have a lounger, but the seat setup looks like 4 could sit.

I am wondering if there are any other models out there that I should also be considering.

Also any insight on whether these are likely to be comfortable, reliable and cost-effective given Ottawa winters. Any other tips appreciated.

Good luck fitting 4 in either of those. 3 sets of feet in those footwells is going to be an intimate experience so make sure you like everybody. If it's a pricing thing, I'd go with Coast. They look to be a little better quality than the other but I don't know how much I trust a company that has to use "Extreme" in the name of half it's features. If you don't mind shelling out the duckets for something that will last, I'd look more along the lines of the Montclair or Marin by Sundance. It's larger than what you're looking at but will actually fit 4 and has a lounger. Jacuzzi, Hotsprings and Bullfrog are also quality brands that I'm sure offer something that would meet your needs. 

If at all possible:

Buy Local - You can't put a price on quick, knowledgeable service when it counts.

Buy Something With Full Foam Insulation - I wouldn't trust just a thermal wrap that far north.

Buy Something With A Circulation Pump - This will also run your heat cycles, saving you money.

Good luck to you. 

• 3 months later...

Just following up on this. We bought the hydropool, and got a good deal from a friendly local dealer who had this model in their showroom for over a year. It fits four quite nicely, as long as you like the other couple. But who invites people they don't like to sit in the hot tub together? The footwell has just enough space for the 3 people, and the person in the lounger doesn't really affect the others at all. Only issue is the potential for a bit of overflow if the water level is high to start with. A bit of refilling solves that issue. Loving the hot tub.