Need help identifying the proper filter for my hot tub

Novadoc

My hot tub is an Infiniti Mariner SE by Maax (obtained it used last week)

The filter that came with the tub was a Pleatco PRB50-IN.

Once the tub was installed I purchased a new filter but it seems the circulation pump is not sucking the water through the filter quick enough to actually pull any dirt/debris down.

The circulation pump is a circmaster HP 1/15 hp pump (43 GPM)

I am leaning towards the filter being too dense to allow adequate flow, but would like to hear what the experts are thinking. 

I have confirmed no air locks.

Please help :-)

Your filtration pump won't have enough pull to suck floaties off the top of the water or enough power to agitate dirt or grit off the bottom of the tub. It's really just there to turn your water over and generally runs you heat cycles. Your jet pumps should still kick on for purge and filtration twice a day and even then they're unlikely to produce enough agitation to get everything out of your water. The PRB50-IN (white pleats, not blue) is a standard pleated filter and about as high flow as you're going to find. 

Hope I'm not misunderstanding the problem. Good luck. 

I assumed the skimmer should be clearing off any floating material, and that flow should be strong enough to draw larger material down into the filter basket

the spa goes into a purge cycle every 4 hours.

Am i wrong in assuming that less pleating will cause less water resistance? 

In general, the spa setup and size dictates the filter size and the filter size dictates the amount of pleating. That filter has 50 sqft of pleated paper which is based on it's overall size and shape. If you could find something in the proper size with 40 sqft of pleating then yes, it should hypothetically allow for better flow. However, it would also clog more quickly and and have a lesser overall lifespan than what you have. I don't know of anything in that size with less pleating. 

Like I said, the flow from a circ pump won't agitate the water enough to get heavier particles up and past your weir and into the basket. That's what your purge is for and even then you won't get all of it. Units with weir gates are better at trapping floating debris than bobbing weirs so it will also depend on your system. 

My best advice is to invest in a spa vac, there are a couple of nifty options out there that suck debris up but filter the water back into the tub. Also a decent sized handheld net from any aquarium store will come in handy.

• 3 months later...

Figured i would post an update

The problem with lack of pressure from my circulation pump was due to there being no wear ring in the housing :-/ With luck i will have everything up and running again tomorrow.

If i post a picture of one of the jets would you guys be able to tell me how to remove it without breaking?