Need advice for hot tub

We bought a house with a hot tub (looks very old and doesn't work anymore).  It's  roughly 84" x 84" in size.  I don't know much about hot tubs, but I'm looking to replace the old one with one that works.  I'm looking to stay under $5,000 total (including shipping, installation, etc).  Does anyone have any advice on where to get started looking?  I've seen a lot of clearance items on craigslist (they look new, not used and have warranties).  Should I stay away from those?

Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks!

The existing one is on our deck and is 84" x 84".  I'd like to keep to the same size so I don't need to modify the deck at all.  I'm not looking for the top-of-the-line, just something in a similar size that is good enough to use and will hold up when the kids want to jump in once in a while.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-06-12 at 4:07 PM, docmattman said:

We bought a house with a hot tub (looks very old and doesn't work anymore).  It's  roughly 84" x 84" in size.  I don't know much about hot tubs, but I'm looking to replace the old one with one that works.  I'm looking to stay under $5,000 total (including shipping, installation, etc).  Does anyone have any advice on where to get started looking?  I've seen a lot of clearance items on craigslist (they look new, not used and have warranties).  Should I stay away from those?

Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks!

Did you end up getting the hot tub off craigslist?

Your main issue with ordering something online is who will take care of you if things go wrong. If the CL tubs are backed by a local store that takes care of warranty work then that wouldn't be a bad option. However, I'd be leery of any company that uses CL as their main form of advertising or local presence. Do an independent search for any reviews on the brand before you buy. As someone mentioned earlier, there are some quality rotomolded hot tubs like Dream Maker that are decently built and normally run under $4500. If you bump your budget by around $1000 you should be able to find something with better quality from a more well known company (Jacuzzi, Calspas, etc.). It would be in their entry level series so you won't have all the bells and whistles but the construction will last.

Good luck either way.