spa popping circuit breaker

Smaay

I have a Hot Spring Vanguard. I came out to find the hottub shut off, the main breaker on the wall has tripped.  I reset it and the hot tub powered up normally, however as soon as I turn on the jet pump it pops the breaker.  I disconnected the 3 wires for the jet pump from the control panel and hit the jet button, i can hear the relay clicking and the red LED turns on.  I can cycle the pump normally this way.  However if I re-connect the jet pump wiring to the control panel and turn the pump on, boom, it pops the breaker again.

Do i have a problem with the jet pump or the control panel?

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible that it is the heat that is bad. pump one will control the heater. when water runs through the heater it will try and turn on. If the heater is bad it can trip the breaker when it attempts to turn on. try disconnecting the heater and running the pump. you might just need a new heater element. good luck.

A component with a ground fault is more likely to trip the GFCI breaker it's powered by. When wired correctly, the jet pump and the heater will be powered by two different circuits which should eliminate the heater as a suspect.

• 2 weeks later...