Water Clarifier Releases Nasty Greasy Gunk

I recently bought a new marquis wish w/ an ozonator. The dealer has me on a spa frog @ease (dichlor). I check my water daily and it always has 1PPM of FC and pH is 7.5 and TA=80.

We are a family of three and use the spa almost daily which I would consider heavy use. We always shower right before we get in. We also do not wash our suits.

I have the filter cycles clean for 2hr each (so basically four hours a day). For the last two weeks I have added water clarifier (Leisure Time A spa bright and clear) with jets on high w/ aerator and BAM a ton of nasty film starts accumulating. This stuff sticks to the sides (water line) and is super nasty greasy grime...biofilm?. I just let the jets run for 30 minutes then wipe off all the crud and then clean my filters. Ive been adding enzyme as well.

My filters still look brand new (only been two weeks of ownership). Is this just a normal part of owning a hot tub? It seems like I don't have enough sanitization for the usage but I check my FC after a couple of uses and its consitently 1PPM.

I wish I had found this forum earlier and done nitro's method. In any case I do want to know how to reduce or eliminate this before I switch over.

Thanks

Sounds a little odd that you're getting a lot of gunk, but clarifier can do that sometimes if it interacts with chemicals and other organics in the water.

As many suggest on the forums, you may want to run some Ahh-Some or Swirl Away cleaner through the plumbing system with a new spa, and it's a good idea to do once or twice a year. The Ahh-Some product is a little spendy, but is a very thorough cleaner. You can find it online if your local dealer doesn't carry it.

Thanks for the reply. I did buy shum ahh-some just for this task.

It turned out to be my filters not seated and the crappy spa frog @ease system. I now add shock (2 to 3 ppm FC) b4 and after use. I, addition i measure FC 1 hr b4 use so i cam correct chlorine demand.

The shock is dichlor,mps, water clarifier and my water from a light green to super clear (white shell color). No scum at all either.

Since adding santizer+oxider before and after use, water is great!

Do you use the bromine inline, new smartchlor inline, or the floater? They gave me the floater which the dealer said was wrong and is giving me the inline version. My PPM was always 0.5PPM FC...I never got above this till supplementing.

I use the SmartChlor inline. If you use the SmartChlor/@ease you will want to make sure you use the specific test strips for that system. It's normal for this system to have a free chlorine of around .5PPM and a total chlorine bank that builds up around 4-7PPM.

Dichlor and shock works fine too, you will just have to stay on top of it a little bit more.