Odds Of More Leaks?

Brian VT

I had drained my Hot Springs Sovereign because the water was 6 months or so old.

Winter came and I (mistakenly) didn't think there there'd be any problem since it was empty. Doh!

The end cap on the heater cracked. If this was the only leak then I would be okay with buying a new heater.

I by-passed the heater with some hose and filled the tub. All is dry in the controls bay. Yay.

Then I noticed water dripping off the bottom of the "redwood" on the side near the moto massager. This seems to be a common area for leaks on this model.

I know I'm in for a miserable task to dig into there but if that's the only leak then I guess I'm up for it? (and buying a new heater).

I don't know the plumbing "schematics" to determine if there are other spots that don't drain and are susceptible to freezing/cracking.

I'm wondering what you'd guess the odds are that there are other leaks that won't show because they're underneath.

I don't think I want to try to save this tub if I have to get into the bottom foam.

I saw this on another site and I guess this is where my known leak is coming from.

Looks like fun. :(

DSCN1814.jpg

Well I decided to dig in.

It turns out I didn't have to do any digging! I took the "redwood" off and the area was suffed with soft fiberglass insulation.

Someone had been in there before me and done all the hard foam digging.

I pulled out the wet insulation and with that was a loose screw with Teflon tape wrapped on the threads. Hmmm.

When I got it all out I noticed a small hose (1/4" i.d.) that wasnt connected to anything and nothing in the area that it could connect to.

See red arrow in pictures.

I also noticed a screw into the Moto Massager "box". Maybe there used to be a nipple there that the small hose connected to ? See blue arrow in pictures.

I filled the tub again and checked for leaks as the level rose. Nothing.

After it was full I turned on the circulator. A little water came out of the small hose. Then nothing.

I turned on the jets. Bingo! Water streamed steadily out of the small hose.

I put the Teflon-wrapped screw into the hose and, voila, no more leak. I'm a happy guy.

I'll leave it full for a while and see if the water level drops. If not then I'll replace the heater and look forward to having a hot tub again.

I hope your repairs are this painless and successful.

IMG_0601_zpshhulvvak.jpg

IMG_0599_zpsco4n4pg0.jpg

So...does anyone know if there was a nipple where the screw is plugging the hole in the Moto-Massage housing (blue arrow in pics) or, if not, where this 1/4" hose (red arrow in pics) is supposed to connect and what purpose it serves?

There was a tiny nipple on the back of the moto, not really sure what the purpose was so high up, perhaps they just wanted a little circulation in there. The replacement nipple part number is 30598, and you'll need a 19/64" drill bit to drill out the old nipple.

Hardware store tubing is fine.