Hot Spot Rhythm Leaking From Clear Hoses

npaulson

My hot tub has started leaking more and more water out of it, behind the panels there are clear hoses that are open ended and they leak water when the pump is on while heating and/or jet pump is on. I know some are used for air intakes for the jets as you can hear air being sucked into some of them, others have no suction but will drain water when running.

It started as very little water coming out but if I top it off now it will drain down 4 inches or so in a day or two from these hoses then continue slowly leaking after that, once all pumps/heater is not running the leaking will stop.

Any ideas what the problem might be?? I've asked the dealer, they just want you to trade it in for a new one!! Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!

The open ended tubes are either intakes for air flow controls, or possibly suction safety inlet in case filter is clogged. Probably a faulty air intake check valves (70289), the same valve is used on both. Not all jets are running when the pump is on, so no vacuum on the leaky ones when the pump is running. If there's a divirter valve, turn it, see if the leak vanishes.

Buying a new spa for such a simple, inexpensive problem is absurd, and the dealer should be scolded.

Ask him why you should buy anything from him if he's not capable of fixing it when it breaks.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/14/2021 at 2:53 PM, Gavin Phillips said:

Did you figure out why this happened? Mine's doing the exact same thing and I was wondering how you fixed it.

Gavin,

Not sure if this will help or not.  I have a Hot Spring Relay hot tub.  I also have had a few instances of the clear open ended tubes drip only when the tub pump is not running.  Best I can tell is these are the air intake tubes for the various jets.  From what I could tell, but could not get to them, they have ball check valves down at or near the jets they feed air to.  If you blow into the tube (with the jet pumps off) , you can see the air / bubbles come from the jets they feed.  I tried that a few times to hopefully clear what ever was keeping the ball from full seating.  It worked once.  After that, due to not being able to access the check valves, which a assume to be well under the water line which is why there is enough static head pressure to force the water all the way up to the opening of the high mounted open ended clear tube, I installed new check valves at the open end of the tubes.   That way if the OEM installed check valves leak by and get up to the end of the tube, the newly installed check valves, which I can actually easily now get to if needed, stop the water from leaking out like before.  Once the jet pumps are turned on it sucks the water back out and lets air flow into the jet stream as it should. 
38390 Moto Ball, Check Valve is what I ordered for mine.  They are less than $2.  Depending on the orientation you may need to get a small piece of clear tubing (Home Depot / Lowes) of a different diameter to slip over the existing tube and have the other end fit the check valve.  So far it has stopped my leaks and the jets still work as normal.