White Film On Water Surface

Gifti

Hello!

Hotspring Envoy / model 2013 / new

I have a uncertain transparent/white film on the water surface.

Start-up procedure:

- Spa is absolutely clean. No debris. No ugly smells. Glossy surface. Pool in wintergarden.

- Water from the preseason completely drained and spa dried with towel.

- Fillling with fresh water (300ppm hardness)

- ACE Vanishing act bag for 48 hours -> hardness reduced to 142 ppm

- 2,3kg salt ACE (Salt Level as it should be)

- Calcinex 50ml only once at start-up (Bayrol)

- 1,5 ppm Chlorine

- pH constant 7,2 to 7,4 (regulated daily)

- 98.5 °F

- crystal clear water

After 3 days the following surface contamination can be seen:

(noone has been used the pool until now)

p10003093fmnulvsoj_thumb.jpg

p1000310z5nhkdqoxf_thumb.jpg

p1000312p6if9ezlun_thumb.jpg

p1000315aov34cr0sb_thumb.jpg

After removing this film with a towel in the filter chamber the water surface of the complete spa is absolutely clear like the water itself.

But 2 days later the same situation occur.

Can you help me to identify this ?

Greetings,

Gernot

Hi, I'm not quite sure what the white film on the water surface is but it may be a reaction between the Calcinex (which is designed to keep Calcium suspended in the water) and the fact that the Calcium is still too high for the ACE system. The Calcium Hardness target level is 50 ppm so if may take one more Vanishing Act pillow to remove the excess Calcium to get the hardness in the correct range. Please let me know if the condition improves after lowering the Calcium. Regards, Keith. Watkins Customer Service

Hello!

Tx for your reply.

Could you give me an idea how to test this residue if it's like organic or inorganic composition?

(Somewhere I read something about a simple method, but couldn't find the thread again ...)

Greetings from Austria,

Gernot

Hi Gernot, The quickest way to determine if the material is organic or inorganic is to make small solution of concentrated pH down/decrease and add some of the white powder to it. If it dissolves, then it is most likely Calcium; if it doesn't, then it may be some type of organic bio-film. Shocking the spa water with a high dose of granular chlorine should oxidize the bio-film if that's what it is. Reducing the Calcium Hardness to 50 ppm with a Vanishing Act pillow will remove the excess Calcium and most likely resolve the white powder contamination problem. Regards, Keith