Pressure Switch Problem?

Hey guys, after a bit if advice. I have a balboa system quite old now, think it's the old m3 style. It has pressure switch on heater.

Replaced the main pcb board couple of years ago and the pressure switch last year (as the thread had snapped,causing a leak) It's had very minimal use over the last 12 months. I'm over in the uk!

Anyway was all up and running fine for a week, then after an hour session in it, went away for 10 mins (getting changed) came back and the tub had tripped the switch. Tried turning power back on, just tripped again immediately.

Next day noticed water level had dropped. Opened up service panel and water was leaking from pressure switch. Removed pressure switch and the thread seems to have melted at the bottom of the thread.

Not examined inside heater yet. Is this likely to be a defective pressure switch or maybe the heater burning out and melting the switch??

Filter was new, tub just cleaned and refilled and it was first usage, so can't see it being a flow problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated??

Thanks in advance.

Had to take switch out of heater because thread melted and snapped further up thread so can't do any testing with it in the heater. Done no other testing on it. Not really sure what to test in its current state.

Can a pressure switch fail and melt itself??

Or is it more likely going to be another part has failed causing the pressure switch to fry.

As said, was new filter and first time we had been in tub since drain and clean after being winterized and not used for several months. Although it had been running for a week just keeping it's temp and filter cycling as it should.

Can a pressure switch fail AND melt itself??

No

is it more likely another part has failed causing the pressure switch to fry.?

Yes

Probably what happened was the tub was heating, it reached temperature and the pump shut off, but the heater continued to run, overheating and burning itself out, but not before melting the pressure switch. It's possible the pressure switch failed, causing all of this to happen.

Can a pressure switch fail AND melt itself?? Nois it more likely another part has failed causing the pressure switch to fry.?YesProbably what happened was the tub was heating, it reached temperature and the pump shut off, but the heater continued to run, overheating and burning itself out, but not before melting the pressure switch. It's possible the pressure switch failed, causing all of this to happen.

This is what I suspected. And was thinking it unlikely that a pressure switch replacement is all I need to now fix!?

You see I'm at a cross roads with this hot tub. It's old...roughly 10yrs. The spa pack is a 2005le. New heater and pressure switch here in the uk is gonna cost me around £220 ($400). For around £340 ($600) I could probably get a whole new spa pack!

Kind of feels like money down the toilet keep repairing this old spa pack!!

• 10 months later...

Hi all.....bringing this thread back from the dead!!!

I tested the heater today with my multi meter on continuity setting and it appears the heater is working. Probes on both elements and it gave a steady buzz and reading of 20 or 0.20

If the heater is working does that mean perhaps the switch just failed?

Cheers for any help