Raised Dome Foot Jets -- Opinions?

I'm working on filtering down to a short list (to start with) of manufacturers and models, and I've been using the Search function here for a few days to get a feel for the better brands and the opinions here of the MANY varying models out there from those brands. I'm looking for a 6+ person hot tub -- maybe shooting for a $12k or under budget.

One area that I'm still scratching my head on is who's doing a good job with foot jets (and how). Ultimately, I hope to wet test and come to my own conclusions, but looking at photos, I see that some heavy hitters don't have raised domes in their foot wells, and other models in their line-ups do. Foot jets seem like big plus to me (especially after a weekend of skiing).

As examples, the Sundance Maxxus has a raised dome foot jet system, while the Hot Spring Grandee does not. Yet, downstream of the Grandee, the Hot Spring Pulse (a "lesser" model) DOES have a raised dome for foot jets. Similarly, at least going by photos, in this higher-end bracket, there are many tubs that don't have a raised foot dome, but seem to have a lot of jets in their foot wells (the Arctic Tundra, Norwegian, Klondiker, etc, the Beachcomber 740), while the Marquis Euphoria and Epic have _some_, and the all the Hot Spring Highlife tubs that caught my eye (Grandee, Vanguard) conspicuously have very little in the way of jets in their foot wells. A more blatant example is the A-series from Bullfrog. The A-8 has a raised dome foot jet system, the A-8L and A-8D, presumably comparably-priced models, do not, but do have jets on the sides of their foot wells.

So, what is the better implementation of foot jet "therapy"? Some here have commented they didn't like the raised dome being underfoot, others have said they liked the result, but it's a topic that hasn't been discussed much. Do the models featuring jets in the sides of their foot wells (in this league of tubs) still give good feet? Does the Grandee and Vanguard completely ignore this area, or are the very limited jets down there very effective, regardless?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Wilmington, DE

Hi Aaron,

First, thanks for taking a look at Bullfrog Spas. We're honored to be considered. Hopefully I can provide at least a little clarity about foot therapy, at least from our perspective here and from my personal opinion.

Foot therapy is something we try to include where it makes sense, while maintaining comfortable overall usability. The general reason you don't see it via a foot dome in models like the A8D and A8L is that the lounge seating takes a bit more space and, in our opinion, there isn't room to comfortably include a dome in the footwell while maintaining an adequate and comfortable area to stand with good footing. The A8 is exceptionally roomy so there is space. The A7 is another example of working foot therapy into the design. While the A7 has a smaller overall exterior size it includes a dedicated sort of half-dome that faces the 2 premium corner seats but doesn't feel awkward when moving around. Even without using a foot dome, we nearly always build in foot therapy on footwell walls which feels just as awesome without taking up standing space on the floor.

I would imagine the reasoning is similar at other manufacturers, although some seem to prefer foot domes in more models.

Whichever way you go, the foot jets feel awesome in my opinion. I do a lot of hiking and walking around on rocks. There is nothing that feels better after a long day on my feet.

You're looking at several quality brands and we're honored that you're including Bullfrog in your search. Let us know if we can answer any specific questions and as I always suggest, get in and wet test the spas you're considering. Here's where you can find your nearest Bullfrog Spas dealer: http://www.bullfrogspas.com/locator

All the best in your search,

Jake

Bullfrog Spas

Thanks Jake. There is an A8D in our area we'll have an opportunity to test in a few days. After testing a Sundance Aspen today (which includes a foot dome), we're definitely convinced we want something that offers foot therapy (ruling something like a Hot Spring Grandee out).

We haven't made the lounger versus no lounger decision yet (the non-lounge Aspen has been our only wet test so far), but we like what we saw in the A8D (wasn't filled, yet). While in the end if we go with Bullfrog, it'd be between the A8 and A8L, I'm hoping the the non-domed A8L foot therapy implementation you described is effective enough to remain in consideration if we decide a lounge is for us. Anyway, thanks for taking a moment to explain the Bullfrog approach.

Aaron

Wilmington, DE

• 4 weeks later...

As a repairman, I would never own a tub with a foot dome. I guess I just recognize the obvious - sooner or later everything needs to be fixed.

Spa_Guru, you commented that you would not own one with a foot dome because sooner or later they would need to be fixed - have you seen a lot of problems with foot domes in your experience? Are they more prone to leaks because they are at the bottom of the tub at area of highest pressure, or do they make the tub weaker or something?

They don't make the tub weaker, but when it comes to fittings and which ones fail first from cracking, it is typically the lowest fittings, in most cases, these are the suctions, however, even with suctions, you can access them without elevating the tub.

The ONLY way you can access a foot dome fitting or any fitting on the bottom of the spa, properly diagnose, and repair a leak is to;

1) Drain the spa

2) Disconnect the power (unless you have had the foresight to have a rather lengthy flexible conduit installation)

3) Tip the spa on it's side and remove any bottom covering

4) Return the spa to level and block the spa up in such a way you can support a couple of tons of spa and water

5) Fill the spa, and if needed, reconnect the power and run the spa to find your leak

6) Drain the spa again

7) Fix the leak

8) Refill the spa to make certain you got the leak - (if there is another leak, repeat #5, 6, and 7)

9) Drain the spa (third time)

10) Lower the spa off your blocks

11) Tip the spa on it's side, replace the bottom

12) Set the spa back down

13) Refill it

14 Reconnect the power.

Everyone loves a good massage on their feet, but the #1 reason manufacturers put in a foot fountain is that they look awesome and sell tubs.

Think of the ergonomics for a moment, what position are your feet in when you are seated and relaxing? Flat on the floor? Nope, usually at a 45 degree angle with your knees slightly bent, look for a tub with angled jets on the SIDE of the bottom of the tub - it is more ergonomic and isn't a PITA to fix.

When tubs are moved, usually fork lifts are used on tubs at least twice before they ever make your backyard, -- next, any irregularity in the support of the spa becomes more of an issue, -- after that, you factor in shell flexibility (a ton of water or so) people stepping on them, and how brittle the Ozone can make PVC after a few years -- or PVC shrinking with age.

No one has ever invented a spa that never leaks.

My last repair was one of these;

http://apollospas.com/hot-tubs/the-rainier/