Intelliflo Vs. Superflo Vs

njmurvin

What's the main diff between these pumps? I have a very simple pool (18x35 with avg depth of about 4ft, no heater, no water features). It has two skimmers and a built-in suction for the pool cleaner (Barracuda currently). The pool cleaner suction line is 1.5" and the skimmer line is 2" with a valve to regulate the amount of suction from the two sources. Currently I have a inefficient 2hp pump and I'm in a premium area for electricity (SoCal tier 4 @ $.31/kwh). I'm really looking for cost savings. My pool guy tells me the Intelliflo is overkill for me and that the Superflo VS would suffice. Is he right?

In my opinion the intelliflo cannot be beat. I would not replace your current pump with a Superflo unless there is something wrong with it, because the Superflo probably will not be anymore efficient than your current pump. I have installed many Intelliflo pumps and the oldest ones are now 6 years old and still running. They also don't have near as many problems as traditional pump motors. I have never seen the bearings or pump seal go out in an Intelliflo pump. The variable speed is great because you can use them in any application. Don't let the 3HP scare you. I have some of these out there that only draw 80 watts at 500 RPM. I am in Texas and power is about .10p/kwh and I figure these pumps pay for themselves in about 18 months (power savings and less maintenance). The 3HP is also very nice to have when you have problems or for vacuuming the pool. These are extremely quite when they are turned down to 500RPM, most people don't even know they are running. I think they are worth every penny.

The Intelliflow is not cheap, but I have one and it has let me cut my pump electricity costs in half. I wouldn't be able to do that with a 2-speed pump and with my setup I need more than two different speeds. I have solar running at 48 GPM, gas heater at 40 GPM, regular non-solar at 26 GPM, pool sweep switched on dedicated line at 15 GPM. I was able to get rid of a booster pump for a pressure-side pool cleaner, was able to somewhat lower the solar flow rate, significantly lower the non-solar rate, and tune everything else accordingly. However, my electricity rates are very high so that made it pay off reasonably quickly.

The SuperFlo VS is also a variable speed pump (hence the VS in the name). It's just a watered down (pardon the pun) version of the IntelliFlo. It has the built-in control panel like the IntelliFlo. It can be programmed to run from 600-3450 RPM. Again, my pool is really simple. As I see it, I'll be running on a higher speed for a couple of hours for the Barracuda to do its thing and then on low RPM for water circ and hopefully save some $$$. Or, should I just go with the IntelliFlo (about $600 more) due to its known longevity?