Pump Replacement

My tub had been sitting idle for a while while I replaced the spa pack. When I cranked it back up, the pump was running, but making quite a lot of noise. The local motor repair guy said it was rusted and couldn't be fixed, but I could use it until it burned up. The pump motor assembly is about 8 years old and was exposed to weather. (I'm building a roof for it now.)

The original is a Century BN51 frame X48Y, 2 hp 2 spd with 1.5" fittings. It's a small (about 300 gallons?) spa. It's not a high traffic spa, usually just my wife and I.

I'm trying to keep costs down partly because we are selling the house in a couple years or so.

I can save money by downsizing to 115v, and/or 1.5 hp(or lower?). How much can I downgrade without regretting it?

I see Gecko and Waterway brands on the hot tub warehouse website. Any recommendations on these or other brands?

Got the pump. I was a bit concerned when it was labeled 3hp instead of 2hp. It has lower amperage rating the the old, so I'm thinking that "uprated to 3hp" means that they've just designed it better and it's just marketing hype. Hopefully it isn't designed so much better that it is too powerful. In my researching this, I came across mention of a "spring loaded bypass valve" that allows full flow through the filter at low speed, but opens at the higher pressure when in high speed to bypass the filter with the extra flow. I can't find any valve like that. Nobody knows about it or thinks it is necessary.

My (Hayward C500 50 sf) filter has a pressure gauge on it, but I don't know what "normal" pressure for my system should be. And I don't recall what it used to be. Some comments suggest 15 - 20 psi. (I contacted Hayward and they told me this filter has no bypass in it)

What is the reason for high speed, just for the extra jet pressure? To occasionally stir up sediments so it circulates to the filter? Is it possible to disable high speed(Balboa VZ500C spa pack). If it's too powerful? What will happen first, will the motor burn out or the filter explode?

I'm going to put it all back together today and see what happens. Pray for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the pump. I was a bit concerned when it was labeled 3hp instead of 2hp. It has lower amperage rating the the old, so I'm thinking that "uprated to 3hp" means that they've just designed it better and it's just marketing hype. Hopefully it isn't designed so much better that it is too powerful. In my researching this, I came across mention of a "spring loaded bypass valve" that allows full flow through the filter at low speed, but opens at the higher pressure when in high speed to bypass the filter with the extra flow. I can't find any valve like that. Nobody knows about it or thinks it is necessary. My (Hayward C500 50 sf) filter has a pressure gauge on it, but I don't know what "normal" pressure for my system should be. And I don't recall what it used to be. Some comments suggest 15 - 20 psi. (I contacted Hayward and they told me this filter has no bypass in it) What is the reason for high speed, just for the extra jet pressure? To occasionally stir up sediments so it circulates to the filter? Is it possible to disable high speed(Balboa VZ500C spa pack).

Finally got around to putting it all together. Turned it on. Couldn't even hear the new pump at first! Pressure gauge reads about 2psi. Hit the jets button. Gauge went to about 22 and water started leaking out of the filter gasket. I'm going to get a new gasket and try again. (That one isn't all that old.)

It would be nice to have the jets I paid so much for occasionally. One of those imaginary spring bypass thingies seems like the answer here.