Marquis Warranty

Quickbeam

We will be first time spa buyers, and some of the brands we are interested in are Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Bull Frog. I noticed on the Marquis warranty that they specifically exclude any leaks from seals or gaskets. I checked the other brands and while they do not specifically exclude these items, I'm not sure from reading their warranties if seals and gaskets are included in the warranty. In any case, if there was a leak, wouldn't the seal or the gasket be the most likely first place to develop a leak? Has this been a problem for anyone who has owned a Marquis?

We are going to be placing the tub in a corner on a roof deck, so reliability is pretty important to me. I am very interested in Marquis, but was a little put off by this clause in their warranty. Is there any reason for me to be concerned? Thanks.

I don't know this, but my guess would be that they make that exclusion because some people like to put water in their spa and walk away or on the opposite end of the spectrum, completely and constantly jack up the chemical balance in the spa, which is not good on ANY of it.

I would definitely make it a point to ask about this from everyone. If it's covered, bonus points for that manufacturer, because they WILL eventually leak.

Another two cents from a service guy..."We are going to be placing the tub in a corner on a roof deck..." AMEN on reliability. Nevertheless, I would still make sure that there is room around all 4 sides for access by a technician. Sure you may go 15 years without ever having to get into all 4 sides, then again, you may not. And it won't be any easier or more fun 15 years from now than it is now trying to get in there if it's against the wall.

Brettnolan is exactly right. Marquis will not be responsible for any failures resulting from improper water maintenance. Marquis is a great tub and they do have a very good warranty.

I just serviced a marquis from 1996 that's still in great condition, the circuit board finally went out. When I walk into a potential customers backyard and find they have a Marquis I am relieved.

So I just purchased a Marquis Epic, and I'm planning on building it in to the side of a hill, where it will have decking on 3 sides, but leave the side with the main panel open. Is that adequate? The guys at the store said as long as you can access the main panel it should be fine, but you're saying I need to have access to all 4 sides?

Thank you for your replies. In answer to Brettnolan, unfortunately we do not have enough room on our roof deck to have access all around the tub. It will be wedged into a corner and there is just no way around that. Another reason I want to make sure we get a reliable tub.

And in answer to AquaParadise, thanks for your post and your recommendation of Marquis. I keep hearing they are a good tub, but this part on the warranty threw me a bit. I gather you regularly service tubs? If you don't mind me asking, in terms of build quality and reliability, how would you rate Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi, HotSprings and Bullfrog? Thank you.

Matty,

You generally only need access to the front side, assuming ALL of the equipment is in that area and easily accessible from the front only. People enclose three sides all the time, and drop them down into decks, build them into vaults, all kinds of different things. It's just my perspective as a serviceman...I hate seeing these arrangements. If something happens on one of those sides, you're out of luck...or you have to move it out to make it accessible.

Furthermore, typically what happens is; an owner loves the look of his spa (and they look great, don't get me wrong) and the convenience of walking right in when it is dropped down into a vault. Then when there is an issue in an inaccessible area, he is pissed because there is nothing I can do until he gets it out of the vault. They also tend to build crap so tightly around the spa that getting it back out requires tearing up a ton of things...decks, landscaping, lighting, cabanas, etc.

Brettnolan,

Sorry, I missed it in your earlier post that you were a repair technician. If you don't mind, would you be willing to answer the same question I asked of AquaParadise? That is, in terms of build quality and reliability, how would you rate Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, and Bullfrog? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...