Cya Levels After First Fill

phishfood

Okay so been reading about dichlor/bleach

First fill let spa people sell me some stuff. Not because I felt need, but because I paid them to unpack & put spa on pad and their people seemed really nice and took their time and were careful and methodical. Good service == I'll spend a little extra cash.

Though they did want to tell me to use nothing but dichlor, and oh, I shouldn't worry about CYA that will never be a problem. Yeah.

So first fill I add the recommended amount of dichlor for 425 gallons, forget, something like 1 Tbsp and 2 tsp, whatever it was for initial shock.

Went back next day and they re-analyze and they tell me my CYA level is 55

Now I'm like hmm. That shouldn't be enough dichlor to get CYA to 55 right??? I was thinking more like 5.5

Now I'm scared to add more dichlor but I don't think that's right.

I do have a Taylor K-2006 on order to be here tomorrow.

I should be safe to use more dichlor right? Until I get test kit in? I was thinking it would be more like 5-10Tbsp until I reached a good CYA level. Already got some bleach and some measuring spoons for use only with hot tub.

Yes, you are safe using more Dichlor. Their number is obviously wrong. I'll bet if you took in tap water they might claim there is CYA in it as well even though there is no CYA in tap water. 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of Dichlor in 425 gallons would be 8.1 ppm FC and 7.4 ppm CYA.

Also, it's not a disaster if your CYA gets a little too high. It's when it gets to 100, 200 or even more after cumulatively using only Dichlor that it cuts down the oxidation and disinfection rate to the point where the water can turn dull/cloudy and the risk of getting hot tub itch/rash/lung increases.

• 2 weeks later...