Tiger River Bengal W/ No Heat - I'm At A Loss Right Now

fikicc

I have a 2000 Tiger River Bengal with no heat and I've been through just about everything with no luck. Here are the symptoms:

- Power light is on and steady (no hi limit fault)

- Heat light is on on the IQ 2000 control board (no separate heater board on that model)

- The relays are receiving power and sending appropriate power to the heater

- The heater has 9 ohms of resistance just like it's supposed to

- The thermistors seem to be working but I cracked one checking the cold weather startup issue so they're getting replaced tonight anyway (this is my last hope as of now)

- I've cycled the jets for 15 mins to make sure there is no air lock

- Summer mode is not on

- Jumpers are correctly set for my power (230v)

- Jets, light, control panel all work like they should

- Circulation pump appears to be working (sounds like it is and I'm getting bubbles coming up from the vent in the middle of the tub)

Power has been on for 4 days and the water is ice cold.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

"The relays are receiving power and sending appropriate power to the heater"

Are you certain?

If the heater is getting proper voltage, and the heater OHMS out at 9 ohms, it's heating. Do you have a cover on the spa?

Double check the voltage going to the heater at the terminals of the relay where the heater wires are connected.

Are you measuring the voltage correctly- measuring both poles, not one at a time? If you're measuring one pole at a time, don't. Measure across both poles, one lead on each.

I was measuring one pole at a time with one probe on the ground and one probe on one of the two poles. They're both reading 120 ish individually. When I read across both, I don't get anything. Does that mean that my relays are somehow bad?

Also, yes, I have a brand new cover on it.

Thanks much.

I'll double check when I get home but I don't believe I get 240 between the leads that go to the first relay from the terminal block. Each were showing 120 ish when tested individually though for sure. If that's the case, what does that mean?

I can't even get a hot tub tech to call me back so sorry for the possibly rudimentary questions.

So, I replaced the relays today and it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I still don't have 230v coming out of the relays and I don't have 230v going into them from the terminal block.

There are two terminals on the block where I can find 230 coming in from the sub panel but I don't know if they're the right two.

What now? Bad terminal block or something? I talked to a tech who said they could come out and take a look tomorrow. I generally avoid having people come work on my house but the weather is getting colder...

Thanks for the help.

"So, I replaced the relays today and it doesn't seem to have made a difference."

Well of course not, they weren't broken...

"I still don't have 230v coming out of the relays and I don't have 230v going into them from the terminal block."

If you don't have 230v coming into the relays, it would take an act of God to have 230v coming out of them. We need to ensure you used the correct relays replacing what was likely fine- 30 amp/ 18vdc coil, right? If you're not sure, and bought some relays that looked the same, put the old ones back in.

The two wires that supply 240v for the heater relays come directly off the terminal block. If you're not getting 240v, test for 240v at the heater breaker, and then at the wires that supply power to the sub-panel the breaker is housed in. In case I'm not being clear- I'm talking about the electrical sub-panel that came with the spa, and is likely mounted outside. It houses the two breakers that supply power to the spa. The 30 amp breaker has likely failed, and is only sending one leg of it's 240v line to the spa.

Either the 30 amp GFCI breaker is bad, or the main breaker that supplies power to the subpanel has lost one leg, or there's a problem with the electrical run.

You were right, the 30amp breaker was the problem the electrician actually installed it so it was only getting one leg of the 240v power. He came over last night and fixed it.

As of this morning I have a fully functional hot tub!

Thank you so much for all your help!

RESOLVED!!!