Hot Spot Rhythm High Electric Usage

ggiguere

I purchased this tub a few months ago and my electric bill jumped up from $60 to $110 the first month and to $145 the second month. I called the dealer and was told that the tub could not be the cause of such an increase. I checked the filter cycles and they were set to 90 minutes and 30 minutes which is the factory default. Also, I have had to add water twice already. The second time I added about 15 gallons and it has gone down 3/4" in 3 weeks. So I am not sure if this is normal o a leak as I am a first timer. During installation, it was also discovered that the wood in the inside of the side panels on the front of the tub were all wet and full of mold. I was told it was shipped on its side and rain got in it. I am worried that there are more issues going on. Any one familiar enough with the fibercor insulation to know if it would absorb water if there was a leak and lose its insulation properties. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I purchased this tub a few months ago and my electric bill jumped up from $60 to $110 the first month and to $145 the second month. I called the dealer and was told that the tub could not be the cause of such an increase. I checked the filter cycles and they were set to 90 minutes and 30 minutes which is the factory default. Also, I have had to add water twice already. The second time I added about 15 gallons and it has gone down 3/4" in 3 weeks. So I am not sure if this is normal o a leak as I am a first timer. During installation, it was also discovered that the wood in the inside of the side panels on the front of the tub were all wet and full of mold. I was told it was shipped on its side and rain got in it. I am worried that there are more issues going on. Any one familiar enough with the fibercor insulation to know if it would absorb water if there was a leak and lose its insulation properties. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

It has been colder and darker as winter has come to us. Your heat and lights have been working harder. What happened at this time last year to your power bill? Are there any puddles around your spa that weren't splashed out? 60 to 110 to heat your tub initially and with heavy use and colder temps and more lights might not be so bad.

Hi ggiguere,

Are you leaving your spa at one temperature all the time or moving it up and down a lot? Your energy consumption will be much lower when the spa is set at a temp and left there, as the majority of your energy expense is the initial heating of the water. Give that a try if you have not been doing so.

Regarding the topping off of water, it may be just the natural loss of water due to bathers. But as Roger mentioned above, look for puddling that is not from someone entering/exiting the spa.

Ultimately, give a ring to the dealer to address as needed!

Thanks,

Steve

---Hot Spring Spas---

The temperature has been set at 103 since installation. There have been no visible leaking around the outside of the tub. Normal electric usage average 325-350 kwhr. Now it is 890. Local dealer is saying that the tub alone cannot be the only source of the increase and to see if the power company can put a meter on it.