Display Reads Flo, Motor Hums

hwmonkey

The tub was drained for more than one season. I refilled and turned it on. The Watkins Solana TX display reads FLO and the motor hums. The hum will cycle a few times, but I turn it off quickly for I fear the pump is temporarily frozen and do not want to damage it.

I am guessing two possible things:

1. Pump needs primed. I tried shoving the hose down the filter, bu this did not change anything. Perhaps there is a bleeder valve on the pump? (It is dark outside now)

2. The pump is frozen. The pump was not dead and was not acting poorly, so I do no suspect the pump is bad, but could be temporarily frozen (have seen this on electric motors here where it rusts). Usually, I turned the motor by hand once, and that is enough to fix things. Can this be done with this pump?

Thanks for any help!!

It sounds as though the pump is frozen- it will either need to be repaired or replaced. I suspect you had a small shaft seal leak in the pump that went unnoticed, then, when you drained it, the water from the shaft seal leak had a chance to corrode the front bearing or armature in the motor.

That appears to be the case. I pulled out the pump and there was a lot of rust around the end. I used vise grips to get it somewhat freed up. Then I put it back together. The pump attempt to rotate the shaft, but it gets stuck after about 1/8 of a turn. I will try taking the pump apart and looking inside.

So, how does one rebuild it? I don't have $400 for a pump...

THANKS!!

Well, the front bearing is likely the culprit, but you'll need a bearing puller. I wouldn't suggest it if you've never done it.

However, it's also possible the shaft has just corroded so much around the volute and shaft seal, it's getting stuck. Try removing the impellor, and removing the wet end from the motor. See if the shaft spins freely at this point. If so, grind or sand the corrosion off the shaft, (be careful not to damage the threads) to it's original size- replace the shaft seal, possibly the impellor too if it broke when you removed it earlier.