White Plastic Like Particles In Hot Tub

Pedalpusher361

History - purchased a house that had a 2001 Cladera Niagara included. It was empty. Ran flush away though it and then filled. Ran for 1.5 years with no issue. Maintained chemicals properly and drained/refill every 3-4 months.

About 6 months ago started to see white flakes that feel like plastic (not slimy) in the water. Have drained and refilled several times since. Particles are getting worse and worse. I can cut the particle easily with my finger nail. Tried putting them, in vinegar and bleach - neither did anything to the white particles.

Dealer is no help. Brought in a sample and they said to run Purge through it for 5 days. Did that, refilled to rinse, new filter, and they came back. Super chlorinated it, drained, refilled and within 12 hrs they are back. So many particles they are clogging the intake so I can not run my hot tub without fear of burning out the motor.

I feel like this is the hot tub breaking down somewhere - to me it is plastic. Dealer thinks it is biofilm and suggests "waiting it out". WTF. Please help. Is it time for a new hot tub or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Pedalpusher361,

What you're describing is likely the breaking down of PVC from excessive chemical usage, potentially a byproduct of previous ownership as it sounds like you've been diligent.

Thanks,

Steve

---Caldera Spas---

Hey Pedalpusher361,

Given the time, money, and resources needed to dig foam, replumb, refoam, leak test, etc the spa, our engineers have suggested a new spa would be a faster solution, potentially less investment, but certainly less headache!

Give us a call if we can assist. 800-669-1881. Or visit www.calderaspas.com

Thanks,

Steve

---Caldera Spas---