Cover Advice Needed

We have an 8 foot Arctic Summit that is 3 years and 10 months old. For the past year the cover has been very heavy and has gradually gotten to the point where I cannot lift it on my own. The cover is a castcore cedar, that came with the spa when it was brand new in October 2009. The hot tub has had very little use...less than once a week, no big parties, no abuse etc. I am amazed that the cover already needs replacing. There are no visible holes anywhere and no damage. Anybody got any ideas on why the cover already needs replacing? I really need to know what the best cover to buy would be as I don't want to have to replace it every 3 years. Which ones last the longest and at the same time provide the best insulation? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2000 year Tiger River Siberian, and live in Middle Tennessee near Nashville...unfortunately the tree close to the spa died out in the top and of course where did the big limb land...pointed end first in the center of my cover! I've been searching online and am just more confused than anything...any recommendations, positive or negative? I'm looking at a 5-3 cover, 1.5 to 2.0 lb foam, double wrap, full width steam seal, 4" skirt...I've searched for reviews of dealers with mixed results, quality seems to be all over the place as does customer service...so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hot tub covers have a foam core that is wrapped in a vapor barrier. This is a plastic of varying thickness that can be sealed in multiple ways. Once this vapor barrier breaks down or fails, the foam absorbs water and becomes heavy. They break down from the chemicals, heat, wear and tear, etc...

When looking at a replacement, ask about the vapor barrier. You can get up to 6 mil, though most use 4 mil. Is sealed with tape or heat sealed? Heat sealing by machine is the best way. Most companies offer a "double wrap" option which gives you 2 layers. This way when the first fails, you still have another. This is a highly recommended option that usually costs around $30.

Additionally, if you live in a cold environment that experiences snow, consider a heavier density foam. 1.5# to 2# is recommended. You can also get covers that are thicker than the standard 4" to 2" taper. Thicker covers offer increased insulating value, as does heavier density foam. Thickness has more of an impact on efficiency than density. You can also get a floating blanket that rests on the surface of the water. This virtually eliminates evaporation, which is a source of heat loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I have the original cover on my Arctic Yukon (7') that came with it --- an Arctic Spa --- it's held up here in coastal New England.

Did you get a warranty on the cover?

Is it an Arctic cover, or another one?

If purchasing a replacement - MAKE SURE IT FITS.

This is where dealer support is critical....