Switch From Bromine To Chlorine?

spascap

I just bought a house with a Marquis 636 Everyday hot tub from 2006.

It came with an ozonator and inline Frog Spa Bromine green cartridge and Frog Spa Mineral blue cartridge.

I do not care for the smell of the bromine, although no "rashes" so far.
The users so far are myself and my young (6) son.

I have read posts about using chlorine (dichlor?) and Nature2 instead of bromine.

Is this something that would be effective in an older (2006) hot tub?

We would like to be able to stop needing to take a shower after using the spa.

We use the tub 3-4 times a week for about an hour.

Thanks.

Mac

If you decide to stick with bromine, consider ditching the frog. Instead buy a good bromine floater and just use the bromine tabs. The frog refills are expensive and the benefits of the mineral cartidge are questionable. BTW, the usefulness of an ozonator on a Marquis is questionable as well (and I have one on mine). It only operates when the pump is running. Because the Marquis only runs periodically when in filter or cleaning cycles (as opposed to other spas that have 24x7 circulation pumps) it doesn't do all that much. When mine breaks, I won't bother replacing it.

If you decide to stick with bromine, consider ditching the frog. Instead buy a good bromine floater and just use the bromine tabs. The frog refills are expensive and the benefits of the mineral cartidge are questionable. BTW, the usefulness of an ozonator on a Marquis is questionable as well (and I have one on mine). It only operates when the pump is running. Because the Marquis only runs periodically when in filter or cleaning cycles (as opposed to other spas that have 24x7 circulation pumps) it doesn't do all that much. When mine breaks, I won't bother replacing it.

Why is the usefulness of the mineral cartridge (and ozonator) questionable?

Can you explain what you mean? Is there science behind this comment?

Thanks.

Mac

Why is the usefulness of the mineral cartridge (and ozonator) questionable?

Can you explain what you mean? Is there science behind this comment?

Thanks.

Mac

I'm not a chemist. I just read and follow the advice of those whose expertise I trust. Here's what waterbear (our admin) has to say about silver (mineral) sticks ...

"SIver/MPS is useful iin a low but frequent usage spa (used by only one or two people a few times a week). It does not have any real advantage over chlorine or bromine. It is simply an alternative.

Chlorine can be introducted in several ways such as with a SWCG, with a tablet floater and trichlor tabs (NOT a good idea in a spa for several reasons). or by manuall dosing with stabiliaes or unstabilized chorne sources As long as CYA levels, pH, TA and CH are monitored and taken into account and adjusted as needed it really does not matter, What matters is regular water testing and good water maintenance. Dichlor/bleach has proven itself to be the least troublesome way to maintain a chlorine spa when used with a GOOD test kit (we like the Taylor K-2006 as do most internet pool and spa forums!)

Bromine chemistry is different than chlorine chemistry and has to be treated as such. Once again water testing is important (Taylor K-2106 for bromine). Two step bromine (sometimes condensed into a one step product that is just a mixture of mosly dichlor with some sodium bromide mixed in) offers no real advantage over chlorine and can be harder to maintain. Three step bromine is better for spas that are ignored for up to a week at a time but can get heavy usage when they are used. It is more forgiving because bromine is effective over wider water parameter ranges than chlorine and the tabs in the floater keep the bromine levels where it needs to be between use without dissolving too fast or dropping both TA and pH too quickly in the hot spa water like trichlor tabs in a floater do.

In theory adding silver to a bromine system (spa frog) can allow you to use half the amount of bromine. In practice it is a different matter. Also, silver bromide is highly insoluble and will precipitate on the substrate of the mineral cartridge so I find the whole thing suspect anyway."

Regarding the ozonator, it can only run while a circulation pump is running. Because Marquis spas don't have 24/7 circulation pumps, it can only run while the pump is on which is during jets-on soaking, filtration or cleaning cycles which is probably 2-4 hrs per day depending on your usage and settings. It only sanitizes while running. It has no residual effect (like your bromine or chlorine does). Whatever effectiveness it does have when running is thereby reduced because it simply doesn't run as much as in spas with dedicated circulation pumps.