Hot Tub Shopping, What Do I Buy?

BorisM

Hello everyone.

My wife and I have been driving each other crazy during the last 2-3 weeks searching for an outdoor hot tub. We are looking for a 6 person tub, preferably without a lounger.

What we came across was confusing that I am not sure I can even summarize: hottubs are sold at Wal-Mart, Costco, Homedepot, internet and local dealers. Internet tubs seem to be the cheapest with the most features, but seem to be all manufactured in China. Since we are talking about 5-10k purchase, I would prefer American made.

Wal-mart, Costco, Homedepot, Lowes, Bjs sell American tubs around 4-6k but they all seem to have very short warranty, especially on labor (around 6-9 month.)

Local dealers (when I say local, I mean in 100 miles radius) sell Hotspring, Clearwater, Jacuzzi, South Seas spas, Sundance and Cal-Spas. There maybe some others, but it all blurry by now.

To make the long post shorter, the spas we like cost as follows :

Hotspring – $12k, Clearwater $11k from dealer and $9.5k direct, Jacuzzi $10-11k, South Seas - $6k, Sundance around 9k, and Cal Spas around $7k.

My wife likes Clearwater and Hotspring. I like the least expensive South Seas. To me it has the most features, an ok warranty and if it dies in 5 years, I can get another one and spend as much in 10 years as the cost of Hotspring.

Any reason why I do not want to get a South Seas spa?

Hello everyone.

My wife and I have been driving each other crazy during the last 2-3 weeks searching for an outdoor hot tub. We are looking for a 6 person tub, preferably without a lounger.

What we came across was confusing that I am not sure I can even summarize: hottubs are sold at Wal-Mart, Costco, Homedepot, internet and local dealers. Internet tubs seem to be the cheapest with the most features, but seem to be all manufactured in China. Since we are talking about 5-10k purchase, I would prefer American made.

Wal-mart, Costco, Homedepot, Lowes, Bjs sell American tubs around 4-6k but they all seem to have very short warranty, especially on labor (around 6-9 month.)

Local dealers (when I say local, I mean in 100 miles radius) sell Hotspring, Clearwater, Jacuzzi, South Seas spas, Sundance and Cal-Spas. There maybe some others, but it all blurry by now.

To make the long post shorter, the spas we like cost as follows :

Hotspring – $12k, Clearwater $11k from dealer and $9.5k direct, Jacuzzi $10-11k, South Seas - $6k, Sundance around 9k, and Cal Spas around $7k.

My wife likes Clearwater and Hotspring. I like the least expensive South Seas. To me it has the most features, an ok warranty and if it dies in 5 years, I can get another one and spend as much in 10 years as the cost of Hotspring.

Any reason why I do not want to get a South Seas spa?

Hi BorisM,

Thanks for posting. If we can answer any questions on the Hot Spring spas you are considering, please contact us at any time, 1-800-999-4688. Our spas come with excellent warranties, and we have many happy Hot Spring owners who have had their hot tubs 20+ years.

Thanks for your consideration!

The Hot Spring Hot Tub Team

Below is a copy/paste of an answer I gave a similar person in your scenario:

"As a dealer, I try to educate each client as best as possible in order for them to make the best decision based upon their needs. As most customers know little of the industry and its products, I try to narrow their focus down to 3 things: Size, Layout/Configuration, and Price. Most don't know what they want, so I try to eliminate what they don't want.

Size: Most spas range from 7' to 8' square. Find the right size for you based on where you are putting the spa, seating capacity needed, and so on.

Layout/Configuration: Again, most spas are either all seats or incorporate one lounger. Almost all brands offer models that come either way.

Price: Research brands in your area and sync their pricing to your budget to set realistic expectations.

Keep with established brands that most in the industry agree are of better quality. But a huge factor in the decision-making process is your local dealers. As they are the company that will service your spa and provide warranty work, do your homework and filter out establishments with a history of poor customer service. I would also not consider a dealer that has carried a brand for less than 5 years.

And remember: Bells and whistles are nice, but comfort and relaxation/therapy are what separates brands. Try to wet test the tubs that make the final cut. Most women & children tend to float in loungers, and taller/broader adults may have trouble in in smaller tubs. A salesman can talk until he is blue in the face about how great his brand/model is, but if you don't fit comfortably its all a moot point."

To add to this, most of the brands you are looking at are manufactured in Mexico, use foreign parts, or both. I only point that out as you mentioned that was important to you.

I hope this helps. Good luck moving forward.

here's my thoughts. I am a user, not a dealer or tech.

The costco tubs are fine if you are capable of doing your own maintenance and repairs. Curbside means curbside and you'll have a hard time getting repairs if you cna't take care of it yourself.

I'm unfamiliar with the south seas so i can't tell about energy efficiency and insulation. That is one of the downsides to a lot of the lower end tubs. they aren't well insulated and cost a lot to run in the cold.

I have a sundance (same as jacuzzi) and it's a great tub. I do all my own maintenance and bought it used for cheap.

Don't forget the cost of doing the electrical and pad/site prep in your estimates. electrical can run 500-1000 (DIY on my tub was $400, hiring someone double or triple) and i already had a place to put it.

Best advise is to WET test it. Get in and take a soak. it makes a difference. Then buy what you like as long as you trust the dealer and will get good service.