Advice On Repairing A Plumbing Crack On A 1995 Calspa

flaquito

I'm a first-time hot tub owner, as a result of my wife and I buying our first home. The hot tub is a Calspa PS5, manufactured in 1995. It was working when the previous-previous owners moved away in 2010, but the people we bought the house from didn't use it at all, so it's been sitting empty for 3 years. It's been covered the entire time, and is in a cedar enclosure, so it's been mostly out of the elements.

Currently, I'm wondering how to fix this problem:

4d6o.th.jpg 2bbr.th.jpg

(thumbnails... click for full-size)

It's on the input to the filter canister, so if I'm not mistaken, it won't be under pressure. It looks to me like the elbow was installed at the wrong angle, or the filter canister got rotated, and it over-stressed the flex pipe. Would something like http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Clip-on-Pipe-Leak-Seal-20-P9763C662.aspx'>this fix it, or would that not work because of the bend?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Brent

I don't think the clip-on will work because it is for PVC on PVC type connections. PVC cement makes a chemical reaction that welds PVC material together where it cannot be separated. The bottom of your problem is not PVC.

Try to find the manual, get the correct replacement part, and install it correctly. It looks like a DIY and I'm sure people here can walk you through the fix.

Huh, I thought that the flex pipe was a flexible PVC that was supposed to still be connected with PVC cement (just not primer, because that can potentially over-soften it). Everything I can find online that looks like that is PVC. What is it, then?

I found the manual online, but it doesn't seem to be very useful as far as parts and repairs.

The flex IS PVC...and you HAVE to use primer on it for it to properly bond.

If it were me, I'd cut the flex off flush with the fitting and then careful dig out the flex from the fitting, extend it and glue it back in.

The flex IS PVC...and you HAVE to use primer on it for it to properly bond.

Good to know, thanks.

If it were me, I'd cut the flex off flush with the fitting and then careful dig out the flex from the fitting, extend it and glue it back in.

Ah, ok. I wondered how to reuse that fitting. How difficult is it generally to get the flex cleaned out of the fitting, and does it take any special tools?

I used to use a small screw driver, with the tip sharpened, and about 20 minutes of patience :) ...followed by massive amounts of primer and glue

Alright, I think I can handle that. :)

Since I can't seem to find any such thing as a flexible extender (am I not looking in the right places?), current plan is to cut the flex tubing flush with the fitting, and also to cut it several inches away. Then carefully dig out the the flex left in the fitting, and get a http://www.quickspaparts.com/productdetail/698/12/coupling--2-429020--.aspx'>2" coupling and a short section of http://www.quickspaparts.com/productdetail/60680/128/cal-spas_tubing-flex-pipe_plu21500150.aspx'>2" flex, cut to the right length, and prime and glue it all back up.

Sound like a good plan?

I used to use a small screw driver, with the tip sharpened, and about 20 minutes of patience :) ...followed by massive amounts of primer and glue

After you use the screwdriver you may find you've left some gouges possibly and some glue residue. Use some sandpaper to smooth the surface as close to the way it was when it was new or as much as you can depending on how good of access you have. Also, beside a scredriver you may find that you can cut the hose a little and use pliers to pull on it and spiral it out partially if that makes any sense.

After you use the screwdriver you may find you've left some gouges possibly and some glue residue. Use some sandpaper to smooth the surface as close to the way it was when it was new or as much as you can depending on how good of access you have. Also, beside a scredriver you may find that you can cut the hose a little and use pliers to pull on it and spiral it out partially if that makes any sense.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.