Pump Will Not Prime Properly

TomTom

I just opened up my pool after winterizing. The Hayward 1 HP Super Pump will not prime.

I filled the basket with water and it starts priming but quits drawing water completely. I have only got it to completely prime one time. I shut it down and then it has not primed since.

All the plugs in the pump are properly installed. I have checked the impeller by sticking my hand into the basket and there is nothing that seems to be stopping up the impeller.

I have checked the gasket around the lid of the basket and cleaned it and relubed it with magic lube.

Today I got a rubber seal that goes where the pump attaches to the housing but I have not installed it yet. The bolts were

tight.

I have 1 1/2 inch lines. 1 suction line from skimmer. 1 suction line from main drain. I have valve set to pull from the

skimmer only.

During the time I got it to prime, the pressure gague was not showing any pressure at all. The pressure gague was a new one.

Could someone please shed some light on what might be my problem as it was working fine before I shut it down for the winter.

I would invest in a new lid gasket. If your lid is easy to close that means the gasket has been flatten out or compressed and may not make a good seal. I also used to the lube and thought that was all that was needed but, I was mistaken. You could also have an air leak somewhere else like a cracked pipe or joint.

Thanks for your suggestion. I had already replaced this seal and also the seal between the motor and the housing. Neither one helped.

I looked further and found that water was coming out from under the pump housing. I pulled pump back off and checked to find out that the impeller

seal which has the spring on it was busted. Replaced it (I also replaced the ceramic shaft seal even though it was OK). This solved the problem.

I have also replaced the 1 HP super pump with a Hayward SP2600VS (Variable Speed) pump. The rating of this pump is 1 1/2 true HP rating.

Does a fantastic job.