Is There Some Way To Test For Chlorine That Does Not Involve Colors?

bobmak

Just bought a Taylor test kit... it's useless for me as I am color blind. It asks you to add drops and watch for it to turn from pink to clear... Just tried it, I can't tell the difference. Maybe if was something like dark blue to clear... but pink doesn't do it for me. Kit is going in the garage next to the Poolmaster test kit that I bought and can't use either. I can get my wife to check this for me once or twice a week but she travels. Any advice from other colorblind spa owners greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mmmm. I can understand difficulty in seeing certain hues with red-green color blindness, but it sounds like you've got difficulty seeing faint pink at all. Have you tried putting a white piece of paper behind the tube to improve contrast since I presume you are still able to see it as shades of gray? Unfortunately, the regular DPD test will also be difficult since it is shades of pink/red. The OTO test which isn't very accurate is shades of yellow (except for very high chlorine where it's orange or red).

It sounds like maybe you need to get a photometer device where you read off an LCD with digits. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap. The LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7 is around $130 on Amazon.

Thanks gentlemen... I'll look into that. I think the pink is too faint for me to see... I will try again with a very bright light and the white piece of paper. I tried it for the first time last night under some bright halogen lights in the bathroom... I couldn't see the change but my wife could. Unfortunately I am the one that has to maintain the spa. I can see the difference between very bright and very dark and dim / light.... but this is so subtle that i can't see it. The photometer you mentioned is expensive.... but I already have at least that invested in test kits that I can't use. Even if it isn't accurate it should be good enough for daily use... I can have my wife check things with the test kit when she is home.

You can add more DPD powder to make the pink deeper. ( an extra scoop or two). It won't have any effect on your final test results and the color change should be more pronounced How are you with the other titrati0ns such at TA and CH and how are you reading pH, which is the one that most colorblind people have problems with?The FAS-DPD test is normally able to be used by people who suffer from the more common red-green colorblindness.