Taylor Test Kit Numbers Good But Water Is Green & Clear

Alicatt

Hi - I wrote this out yesterday but for some reason it was gone today.

Anyway, I have had the Coast Radiance 450 gallon tub for 2 months now. At first all I had was test strips but a month ago I got the Taylor Test kit.

For the last month my testing has yielded these numbers:

Bromine 4.75

PH 7.8

Alkalinity 80

Calcium Hardness 150

I use the floating Brominator and use 1/2 to 1 capful Bromine booster after each soak. I use it roughly every second day with 1 - 2 bathers for about an hour.

For some reason it seems I have algae. I have shocked it yesterday and today with pool chlorine I have.

I am baffled by why I had this problem when my numbers were all within the recommended ranges? I had the algae problem over a month ago when all I had was test strips and my bromine was swinging from 0 - 15.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you for responding - I am using well water but when I had it tested at the dealer before I added anything to it, the dealer told me it was the best water she had ever tested - far better than the city water around me. The TDS at that time was 80. She said city water was usually around 500. The last time it was tested the TDS was 800 - not that long ago.

I did have an algae outbreak 6 weeks ago when I was having trouble getting the bromine to bank. At that time - I shocked it and filtered it for 24 hours for 3 days - wiping the tub and cleaning the filter every day. The tub was used heavily at that time - and did get rain water in it while I was using it. I chalked it up to not enough sanitizer at the time. I have topped the water up twice in the last 2 months.

Could it be possible that it is copper? I have seen the water in town turn green before because of that - I know someone who drives a water truck for cisterns and he said periodically copper is a problem in town. Would the spa dealer be able to check for that? My dealer is an hour away from my house so I try not to drive in there too often.

Thank you for your help.

I took the water to the dealer today and they are stumped as well. All my numbers were fine and they tested for copper too. They had no idea what is causing it - they hadn't seen this before. I guess I will wait for the next warm day to drain it - won't be this week -20 C all week :(