Heaters

bassack42

Want to ask about inground pool heaters. I have a small fiberglass pool. 23' x 14' oval. Like to add a heater. Questions are:

Should I go with propane or gas? Electric would be to crazy expensive.

What is the cost to run?

How much more enjoyment would I get out of the pool?

We live in Newport News Va. (Williamsburg/Yorktown area)

It will depend entirely on what your rates are locally (for cost) and how quickly you want your pool to heat (for size of heater).

Assuming you have a 12k gallon pool (which is what you should have approx based on your size) it would take a 400k BTU heater 2.5 hours to heat your water by 10 degrees.

you would then multiply 2.5 hours (usage) by the price of gas for you, which will be measured either in therms (of which you would be using 4per hour) or by cubic foot of gas (which would be 400 cubic feet per hour). This will give you an approximation of you cost.

Natural Gas vs Propane doesn't offer a performance difference, just a cost and availability difference. Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...

Thanks Beachbreeze..My pool does have a main drain. My question still remains. Does a heater give you a fair amount more time to enjoy your pool? And is it worth it?? Thanks to all.....Its mid March, won't be long before I can open the pool! My wife and I put our pool furniture out this past weekend...Its a start!