Question On Draining Tub In Winter.

jamesfarrell

Hi everyone, how's it going? We wanted to drain our hot tub and replace the water. However We have a huge stair case around it, in an L shape. I have to move it in order to get to the drain part. Being that there is 3' of snow around it, I can't move the stairs. So I'm wondering if it could be drained by a siphon or something? My fear is doing this in the winter after shutting the power off and having pipes freeze.

Or if you suggest doing it on a day that the temperature is above freezing? I can probably move the snow to get the stairs out of the way but just wondering what you think is the best thing to do. There's black **** floating in the water right now so I assume it's time to replace the water. I guess the siphon method wouldn't be the best as we would not get all the water out of it, but most of it. It's a hot springs flair

Thanks, Kevin

If there's already black stuff floating in the water and you are not planning on having a soak soon, I'd wait until the weather was nicer to drain the tub.

When you do drain it, just siphon it out and suck any residual water out of the piping and jets with a wet/dry vacuum. You will have to do a thorough decontamination before you refill anyway.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not meaning to be funny -- but there may come a time where you might have to get to the "guts" of the tub. I don't know where you live where you have 3' of snow -- but -- if you do not have access to the drain, siphoning and wet-dry vaccing the rest is the only way.

Also - yes - do so on a day when the temperature is above 32f / 0c .... and flush whatever you can out of the pipes.

Just curious -- do you have any idea as to how the water got the way it did?

Not sure if you drained it or not, but if not.... Go the nearest home depot and get some 1 1/2 inch flexible sump pump hose. Submerge it in the tub to remove all the air and plug one end and take it out of the tub. Let go and you will have the tub drained in about 15 minutes or less. use the suction end to suck out any sand and dirt from the bottom as it drains

• 5 weeks later...

Go to Harbor freight and pick up a submersible 1/4hp 1200 gal/hr Clearwater pump. 29.99$. Drop your water down to 85 degrees the day before you want to drain it. Then just drop the pump in and plug it up. 20 min later you're drained and ready to clean and refill.