Best Way To Clean Hot Tub Filters

alan1

Back when I was buying my first batch of chemicals and things I thought I might need I picked up a "filter cleaner" made by "leisure time" that you add a prescribed amount to a 4 gallon bucket and let sit over night.

However, your mention of TSP intrigues me... Back in my brewing days we used an expensive mixture of TSP and something else called "Powdered Brewery Wash".... turns out that we wound up eventually just substituting oxyclean right off the supermarket shelf and it did the job we needed it to.

I have to imagine that this would be cost effective and its a great thing to have around the house. Just a thought... I've never tried using this as I am a newbie to hot tubs. I am sure you'll get lots of info from this thread to help you out. Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was reading on the Pleatco website that you use 1 cup of dishwasher detergent (powder) to 5 gallons of water. Let soak overnight. I let mine soak for about three days because I had to keep flipping mine over because of the height of the filter and I needed two 5-gallon buckets because I have 2 filters.

What is the procedure to clean my filter cartridge?

1) Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer’s instructions

2) Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element. Work from the top down,

holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between the pleats.

3) Rinse until all dirt and debris is gone

4) For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils

are present, soak the element for at least one hour (overnight is most effective) in:

(A) a commercial filter cleaner, or,

(B) one cup tri sodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons of water

© one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

5) Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.

6) If the filter has a coating of algae, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypo chlorite), iron, or other

minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops.

7) Rinse

• 2 weeks later...

I found that rinsing it over and over with air compressor and blow gun works well. I can see the fuzz and oil and garbage com out of it. after i go all the way around i rinse it in a 5 gallon bucket and do it again. now this does make a mess, and i get a little wet but it is a fast process. i have a 50 gallon air compressor that stops at 150 psi.