New Circ Pump...now Has A Ground...pops Breaker

gribley

My new...direct replacement circ pump from Master Spa Parts direct:

ordered a new pump...took out old...installed new...direct replacement from manufacturer...but it now has a seperate ground on the case of the pump...I used a solid piece of copper wire and connected it to the ground block..when power is applied the circuit pops immediately...all connections are tight...

SUGGESTIONS????

Dr. Spa...I think that is what it is called...bonding lug...

Anyway...it was popping the breaker...installed the new pump that had a ground on the plug for the spa pack and the lug on top of the new circ pump that needed to be connected to the grounding bar in the spa pack too... did all that but it would pop GFCI breaker....

I called Master Spa and they suggested I replace the GFCI...I thought it was odd because it was working fine previous...either way I did replace the GFCI ($80 and after turning off all power to the house...240v is kinda scary!!)...after that...turned on at breaker, spa primed, circ pump came on and HEATING was all GOOD!!!!

Spa is now at 101/102 and feeling good!! Thanks to all that helped in my previous post and this one!! Hope This Helps you too!!

Have a great day!

Gribley

I had this happen to me before on a customers spa. I replaced an old Lang pump with the new Lang E-10 circ pump, and then the GFI started tripping. There was a small amount of leakage current, which I measured to be several mA, returning to earth ground from the pump case. I tried another new pump with the same results. I believe the new E-10 pump motor has higher then normal internal capacitance. There was no measurable resistance between the power and bonding connections on the E-10, however I did measure a decent amount of capacitance.