Round Or Oval Pool

rjordan390

My nephew in law put in a 14 foot round pool last season and for next season wants to put in a bigger one. We discussed placing an oval shaped pool between two sheds. Problem is that, he was told by fellow employees that oval pools are more difficult to maintain. I believe that is bad advice. What are the pro's and con's of each?

I have a 21' round ABG pool and the only negative that I've heard about oval pools is that an oval has less structual integrity than a circle, and therefore requires the side buttresses/braces and under pool strapping for wall support. This can cost more, be more difficult to install and some people don't care for the look of the side supports.

All my lif,e I've grown up with pools (above and inground) and have owend an ABG pool in my current house for the past 13 years, I've never heard anything about an oval pool being more difficult to maintain than a round pool.

Round pools actually give you more swimming space than oval, but if you want to swim laps the shape of an oval might be better suited for you.

I think you would find more varitey/choices with a round pool and they are generally less exspesive. But if you're only concern is pool matainence (filtering, vacumming, water chemistry, and pool closing during the winter) then I know of no differences.

Thanks,

There is a pool sales store close to me. I'll take a look at the oval pools with supports. I have an area that would be perfect for an oval pool. I'll try and convince my nephew to view that possibility. But he will have the final say as he will be paying for it.

• 3 months later...

I totally agree with Spa Guru. There's little difference in maintenance between round or oval. Round may be a little more difficult to vacuum if its big because you have to reach out further to get to the middle but may circulate better as you can turn the return jet toward the pool wall and create a wirlpool effect. The oval shape may vacuum easier and more uniformly but can't create a wirlpool effect like the round shape pool can.

Some of the nicer ovals have a more streamline buttress design so if space is an issue between the sheds, consider one of those. These "buttress free" models typically use only about 1.5 feet of extra space sticking out from the oval's straight sides for their buttress ends.