How Much Bleach To Use In Place Of Dichlor For Weekly Shock

mhaleusa

Everything I've read here hasn't exactly helped me answer the question for my system. Here is what I have:

485 gallon Sundance Optima

Using Nature/2 MPS along with bi weekly "shocks" using dichlor at 1/2 ounce. Bather load is daily... but just me after showering EVERY time for 20-40 mins. Maybe once a week my wife gets in with me.

I have the taylor kit and I also use the recommended MPS dip strips (nature 2 I believe).

So I'm thinking that even though I'm not using dichlor as my primary sanitizer I'll still have CYA go up over time if I don't start switching to bleach at some point. However, how much bleach would I use to replace 1/2 ounce of dichlor granules?

If I were to use 1/2 -3/4 cup of bleach after each use.... wouldn't that still be pretty expensive? I've never really priced much of the stuff as I have what the dealer "gave" me when I bought the tub. I may abandon the N2/MPS method after a while but my wife is highly sensitive to bleach/chlorine and so for now I'm going to go with it. Plus I have 8 lbs of MPS and 2 weeks usage from my N2 cartridge so it doesn't make sense just yet anyway.

I was just curious if there was a way to equate the 1/2 oz dichlor with a particular amount of bleach as a subsitute for shocking. I would think that if I were to add half a cup of bleach in place of my twice weekly dichlor that that might be too much since your chlorine levels are 5-6.5 (which is not what I want if I'm using N2 and MPS.

Thanks for responding!

you can use the pool calculator to determine how much bleach to add to get to a certain PPM. The ppm level is what you are shooting for when you shock and it doesn't matter what type of chlorine you use to get there. you can switch the type in the pool calculator to get an equivilence value.

Problem with dichlor use all the time is ur cya will go very high and make sanitizer not ineffective. Not good. Mps has been know also to have sensitivity. Since I have been using my bleach only, no more smell and it works perfect. I just leave the cover off for about an hour after I shock. Also it makes your combined chlorine really low, so not much bather waste after shocking . Trust me I was using the dichlor solo and I had problems with cya, smell and longevity of water between fills. Also bleach at Walmart is soo soo cheap to sanitize ;) just don't use splash less . Just Clorox regular 6%

You don't have to shock to 5 or 6 that's just what I prefer. U could run 2-3 and use ur n2 but I'm still on the fence if it works . I actually purchased it but sent it back after many man days reading with the help of waterbear and chemgeek ;)

Mps is only really needed when your partying all night long with lots of dirty people lol in witch your not. Ps I have a lot of chemicals also that I don't use now or need so I understand when u say but I have all this product

You don't have to shock to 5 or 6 that's just what I prefer. U could run 2-3 and use ur n2 but I'm still on the fence if it works . I actually purchased it but sent it back after many man days reading with the help of waterbear and chemgeek ;)

Mps is only really needed when your partying all night long with lots of dirty people lol in witch your not. Ps I have a lot of chemicals also that I don't use now or need so I understand when u say but I have all this product

You need 5oz of 6% bleach for a 485 gal tub. That will take it from a 0ppm to a 5ppm. Bleach is the best methoud I have used, One gallon jug lasts me 2 months at 2.50 a gal, I have a 235 gal spa. I have a ozonztor and dont used the nature 2 stick anymore. I do use borates and numbers never move but im usually only one in spa daily. Your cya is probley very high useing dichlor and that will make you use alot of bleach, you want it between 20 and 30.