Don't Buy Splashless Regular Chlorox--For Those Who Use Bleach

NateW

I use bleach to add chlorine to my hot tub. I've always used Regular Chlorox. This weekend I bought what I thought was Regular Chlorox at Walmart. I am very careful and check the label each time. Obviously not careful enough. Today, when measuring the bleach I noticed it was viscous, like a light oil. Looked at the label. It says "Regular Chlorox", so I thought it was my imagination, or that something was wrong with the bleach. Looked at the label again. I then noticed "Splashless". Looks like this is a new type of Chlorox. I never knew a "splashless" type was made. This is very misleading because "Regular Chlorox" appears on the label. I don't know if "Splashless Regular" is replacing "Regular" Chlorox, I hope not. Anyone know? Can "splashless" be used?

Also, there is no listing on the label of the ingredients, nor the strength. Perhaps it is more dilute, thus a cheap way to downsize the product.

--Nate

It has not replaced the regular one, it is just one of the many versions of Clorox "bleach" being sold, but it is not what you want to use. You are better off with the walmart house brand, btw. The splashless contains less chlorine and contains a lot of thickeners and some surfactants that could cause foaming.

Clorox has been replacing their regular bleaches at 6% with more concentrated versions at 8.25%, but the specialty versions are still to be avoided. The following are the new concentrated Clorox bleaches:

OK to use:

Clorox® Concentrated Regular Bleach

Clorox® Concentrated Germicidal Bleach

DO NOT USE:

Clorox® Gentlebleach (not yet concentrated)

Clorox® Concentrated Scented Bleach

Clorox® UltimateCare® Bleach (not yet concentrated)

Clorox® Concentrated Splash-less Bleach

Clorox® Concentrated Outdoor Bleach

Clorox® Concentrated High Efficiency Bleach

You can also use off-brand bleaches which usually have to be "Ultra" to be at least 6% (many off-brand Regular bleaches are only 3% or less). Check the bottle for ingredients and concentration.

I just ran into this change of products at Walmart also. I could not find clorox regular concentrated, only Walmart brand and another name brand which I forgot. The walmart brand was the 8.25% regular bleach so I bought it. They also lightened the load a little, its only 3.78 quarts, I guess saving about 7 ounces a bottle is a healty profit for them. Took me about 10 minutes in the ailes to decide what to choose though.