Bromine Sanitising

barnsley_teaher

Hi... new to hot tubs so bear with me. Just bought / set up 6 person 1000ltr ozonating spa.

After reading lots of articles am i right in thinking that if bromine levels are very low 1 or even less ppm despite having 2-3 tablets in a floating dispenser with collar wide open, simply adding more tablets will not work..... the answer is to shock with the oxy shock i bought, as this will activate the bromine. Just putting in extra tablets alone will be no good. Sorry if this is a really obvious question/answer. I am learning.....

Hi. Bromine should be in the 3-7 ppm range. The bromine in the dispenser needs filling to the top and you should also add bromine granules to get to the desire ppm. You need to add Sodium bromide in the 1st place And then shock it with either MPS or bleach (UK Tesco bleach is around 3% - go to Pool calculator to see how much you need)- read Waterbear's sticky it has all the info you need. Best thing is not to rush initial setup - do it correctly 1st time and you will enjoy for 3-4 months otherwise it could be a case of changing the water time after time.

Thanks for reply. I added sodium bromide on initial set up and shocked. levels rose quickly. It seems that after use the bromine levels drop to virtually 0ppm and the only way to increase is to shock the tub after each use, raising it to about 5-8ppm. But then after use again drops again. Should i have to shock the water after each use as the info i have got says it should really only need to be done weekly. Any help appreciated.

if you have a light bather load (1 person a couple hours a week like me) you will likely be able to get away with not adding bleach/mps after a soak. If you are higher load then yes you will have add bleach after the soak. My floater keeps up with my tub but like i said, i use it for a half hour every other day or so my usuage is low. If the kids go in or i have more usage i will add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach when done. Then test before your next soak and adjust the amount of bleach added.