Ta Max (3 Part Bromine System)?

toby

I like a high TA because the Ph appears to be relatively stable. I havent had to re-adjust the Ph over the last two years. I was wondering what unwanted side effects I might be instore for?

Also is there a maximum recommended level for TA?

I set my TA at 150 on refill.

I am using a 3 part bromine system. Sodium Bromide Bank of 30ppm, Sodium Bicarbonate TA 150, Calcium Hypochlorite Shock and BCDMH Bromite Tablets. I generally run the Spa at a 3ppm level as my willing elves can easily read that on the comparator!

Re Stable Ph: The Ph zooms during shocking, but returns once the shock level returns to normal.

Thanks, A couple of years ago I'd been chasing the Ph and always wondered why it appeared unstable.

I'm using a Lovibond 'DPD No. 1' which I has assumed was compatible with comparators. Sell by date being 2018.

Out of interest what are the differences between DPD 1 and 3?

DPD 1 tests free chlorine, DPD 3 contains and iodide salt and will test total chlorine. We actually recommend FAS-DPD testing over DPD testing and if the pH reagent does not contain a chlorine neutralizer it can read high falsely when the chlorine is only as high as 3 ppm.I see by your IP address that you are in the UK so the only FAS-DPD test kit you really have access to is LaMotte 7022.

Hi Waterbear,

My limited understanding of using a three part bromine system was that the Calcium Hypochlorite acted as an oxidiser to convert part of the Sodium Bromide bank to HoBr. I thought any chlorine produced would be rapidly used or evaporate. If DPD-1 is measuring chlorine, I am confused about what it is reporting on when I am not shocking the spa?