Is Extra Insulation Worth Investment

sparific

I am here in southern New England and was wondering what the experienced spa people think about paying $ 200-300 x-tra for insulation in a Sundance Cameo. I am guessing that it is a 3-4 year payback.

I think its a shame its not standard and don't know why its not but I would certainly pay to add it (maybe thats why its not standard).

I doubt you'd be able to sell a spa in Canada that wasn't fully insulated.

Maybe the U.S. market is different. Perhaps the manufacturers are thinking that in some of the "warmer" states it's not necessary but is it not also true that many of these states have rather high Hydro rates?

It's most likely a marketing ploy to show a lower "Sticker Price" but at the end of the day they know customers will opt for the added cost

sundance (which is what the OP is asking about) comes fully foamed, but they offer an insulation wrap for the cabinet as well for added cost. Their bochures show about a 20% reduction in operating costs with the wrap. I don't know why you couldn't just go to Home depot and by the foil bubble wrap insulation for 1/4 the cost and add it yourself.

Hot Spring uses multi high density foam with half pound in the middle which is much much better than just half pound foam and has allowed the brand to be known as an energy miser. Caldera switched from just standard half pound to the 2 pound FiberCor for better insulating properties. You need to fully insulate but if you just use half pound foam it will insulate pretty well but is that enough?

Energy efficiency has become even more key the last few years and I suspect we may see some effort from others to take a step forward. Sundance is taking the approach to add a wrap between the half pound foam and the cabinet to get it to a level higher. You can certainly argue that it should just be standard on all their spas but at least they're giving people the oppurtunity to better insulate their spas.

Another feature which I think Sundance has if freeze protection. That means if for some reason the spa stops heating wether it be a circ pump or the heater, the computer will automaticly turn the jet pumps on to the spa and equipment from freezing.